Thread: Project 2010 unstable.

Project 2010 unstable.

Hello all,

I have been working with MS Project since 1996 and have developed a unique toolset using VBA modules, forms customised toolbars etc.

Since the begining I have been able to bring my legacy tools to the latest Project version with little or no trouble. However, now that I have taken the plunge to get into MSProject 2010 thinking it would have the major bugs removed (it being in service for some time now) I have hit some major snags.

For example Project 2010 shuts itself down for no apparent reason while I'm working on a vba module or form, it doesn't always retain previously saved changes, very often it responds to a click of the button in the Ribbon with 'Automation Error' etc etc.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me some tips to resolve stability issue and direct me to a place where I can learn about the changes to VBA syntax that seem to have been implemented.

Thanking you in anticipation,

A very frustrated MS Project User.

Re: Project 2010 unstable.

Do you get any kind of error message when the Project 2010 crashes. Sometimes modifying the data initialisation for any data can cause the form controls to access uninitialised data and this problem occurs. Changing this data initialisation back resolves the crashes, so it might be a problem in your case.

Hello Simond,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

The crashing occurs when I'm in the VBE and I've decided to save my work.

Clicking Save in VBE immediately shuts down the application with no warning or error message.

My knowledge of VBA comes from tracing macros and reading the result so I have to ask the simpletons question - what do you mean by 'data initialisation'?

FYI regarding my syntax problems:
    I have found by trial and error that a macro written eg:
    Sub pjpBubbles()
    pjpBubbleForm.Show
    End Sub
    gives rise to an "Automation Error" and fails.

However when written so:-
    Sub showpjpBubbles()
    pjpBubbleForm.Show
    End Sub
    it works as needed!

Thanks very much for your help with this.

I am not really sure about the issue, but I think the issue is related to some kind of corrupt project file. When you try to save the same those files cause the crash. Corrupt project files are the most common reason for such crash. There was a common solution that I found. It can be fixed by re-creating the master file. Unlinking certain sub-projects can also avoid the same.

Hello Ronchi,

Would 2010 consider a file created with 2007 a corrupted file I wonder!

I hope not. Certain clients moving from 2007 to 2010 would expect and require their existing programmes and projects remain functional.

Re-creating a 5000 line Programme Plan that contains sub-programmes and their interlinked projects would be a nightmare.

I will recreate my Programme and Project test plan files from scratch using 2010 and check out your theory and get back to you.

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond.

Hello Ronchi,

Well I created a test project from scratch using MS Project Profesional 2010 SP 1 and the problem still exists.

MS Project Profesional 2010 SP 1 crashes when VBE Save button is clicked. No warning , no Error Message.

Thanks for your time.

I am suggesting following thing which you should check.
    Are there any blank lines in the schedule?
    Are there any Dependencies on the Summary Tasks?

Apart from the above you need to do following things.

• Roll back the last changes which you have done on the project schedule.
    • Clear the cache and restart the project.
    • Restore the project from the recent back up on the server.

Hello JyotiT

• No blank rows
    • No links on summary tasks
    • The plan was just now created (using MS Project Pro 2010 SP1) specifically to test stability therefore no backup.
    • No server involved as I am using a standalone PC.

I'd be interested to know what you meant by "clear the cache"?

Thanks for taking the time.

Hi Phil,
    Clearing the cache is a Project Server issue. Doesn't apply to you. I don't know if you saw Rod's reply on the Answers forum -- but see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2596585

and

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2075992

One of the fixes solves the crashing and one fixes a timescaled values error with cumulative % complete.

Hello Julie,

Yes, got the links. Aslso got "The system is currently unavailable. " when I tried to download them.

I'll try again later.

Cheers.

Hello Julie,

(I've posted this mesage in the other forum as well but just in case you don't go there often I have copied it below)

I believe I may have cracked my original problem. (NB I haven't installed the HotFIxes yet.)

I have been busying myself with recreating my Programme and Project Plans along with the Views, Tables, FIlters, Forms and Modules (in that order) in the Global Mpt using Project Pro 2010 to see if it really is a backwards compatibility problem.

Along the way I would pause and test out my work to date and until I reached the modules clicking Save in the VBE would (sometimes) still crash MS Project.

I 'rewrote' my code by copying to Notepad the copy and paste from Notepad into a new module. The work progressed without change to the problem until I reached the module that installed my toolset into the global from my .mpp tools file.

I was naming the 2010 modules exactly as before but I mistyped this one to show it beginning with an UNDERSCORE. This immediatley returned the message 'illegal character'.

Although my original module name didn't start with an underscore it did contain underscores within the body of the name.

I decided to remove them and from that point onwards clicking Save in VBE has not crashed the application.

I continued working since then on trying to rermove the occasional 'Automation Error' message which I believe is down to the syntax within my very simple code (?) and the crashing problem has not reappeared.

IN ADDITION

I may have metioned that when using Office Update I was receiving no updates at all.

Well I run Update again last night and it presented me with 17 High Priority Updates 9 for Windows XP and 8 for MS Office 2010.

I installed XP updates first then Office.

Tonight I reopened the Programme Plan (created in MS Project 2003) that I had archived and I've worked with it (in the user sense) while occasionally going into VBE, modifying a module and clicking save to see what would happen. Nothing bad so far.

I really hope that this has resolved my original problem. If it reappears I will of course come back here for more help.

Thanks very much for all you've done to date.

Regards.

Phil

Thanks, Phil. I did see your post in the other forum. Keep us posted.

I will do but through the Microsoft Answers forum as I have to reply to a topic to be able to Login to TechArena. TechaArena homepage says "Site off-line".

Regards

Yes. The "site off-line" message has been around for awhile. I think you'll catch the eye of more project folks at Answers or a the Microsoft Technet forums for Project.

See:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ofessional2010