Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Issue with RAG status in MS Project

This time on dependencies.

Julie,

I have another question which I was hoping you would be able to assist.

I am 8 projects and all the 8 projects have depedencies between them. For e.g. Project 1 has an incoming dependency from Project 2 and Project will have an outgoing dependency on Project 1. Due to the incresing number of dependencies and the complex project it is becoming very difficult to track the dependency. From your expert knowledge do you know if there is a way to create a report which just shows the dependencies and the finish dates for each project . All the dependencies have a unique naming convention. For e.g. DP102-p101/001 - project 101 has a dependency on Project 102 with a ref number 001.

As before I am using a master template where by I insert all the projects into one template.

Please can you guide.

Thanks.

Santosh

Re: Issue with RAG status in MS Project

Hi Santosh,

There is no out of the box report. However, you could design a table based upon the existing Entry table. The Predecessor and Successor fields should show the full path to the externally linked tasks.

You could insert one of the flag fields into the Master Project and set the tasks you wish to report on to "Yes". Then filter and export that data or just print the table with the filter applied.

I hope this helps.
    Julie

Okay. I understood you wanted to create a report to show tasks with external links (predecessors and successors). As I stated, there is no report all ready created. However, you can create a table (arrangement of columns) and then print the table.

The predecessor field shows the linked tasks and the full path including file name to the external predecessor. My suggestion is to add one of the custom Flag fields (Flag1 for example) and set the flag to "yes" for tasks you want to display in the report. Then filter the list of tasks to only show "yes" tasks.

Print the view with the filter applied.

Hi Julie,

Sorry if I was not clear.

In short, I need to able to track the “dependencies” (mainly) and milestones across projects. As it stands I have 8 projects and each project has a number of work streams.

What I am currently doing in Inserting all the projects (gantts) into one master template plan (i.e.Insert -> Project) where I have a BRAG status column which shows what the current BRAG status against each milestone and then I am going through each plan to ensure the project dependency dates are aligned (finish - start)

In order to track the dependencies I have asked the team to adopt the following in their plans:

1. Use column “text1” in their Gantt to record the numbers;
    2. All Gantts should have an incoming and outgoing dependency;
    3. The number/naming convention adopted is of the form

D<give project number>-<get project number>/<nnn> where the relationship is one to one, or
    D<give project number>-G<mmm> where the relationship is one to many

Eg. Dp502-p702/123 is dependency number 123 on the project 5 (work stream 2) to delivery a capability to the project 7 (work stream 2)

The dependency number is assigned by the ‘giving’ project. Both the giving and receiving project(s) must use the same numbers.

As there are so many dependencies, its a very gruelling and pain staking exercise to track the dependecies on a weekly basis. I am hoping there is a way whereby I could still use your Master template to pull out a report (in the Gantt itself) for all the dependencies which shows the project and dependency numbers with their start and finish dates.

I hope this helps.

Santosh

So are you actually creating the cross project links between the tasks? If you are creating the cross project dependencies, they should stay from week to week -- no need to re-create them.

The entries in Text1 are not creating the links. Are you manually updating the successor tasks?

Hi Julie,

Finally I think I have cracked the code. I went with your initial suggestion for creating filters.

I took me so long to break it as I was trying to amden the predessors and successors.

I have introduced some columns (hidden) to the PMs so when I insert it into the template I can apply the filter.

It was trial and error but got there in the end.

Thanks and sorry for late response, I was actually trying to fix it.

I cannot stress more your assitance has helped.

Santosh

Hi Julie,

I have another question.

As you may remember I have a master template where by I have set a filter to display just the key tasks that I want to show. Unfortunately they all take the indentation as they show in the Gannt and I want to align them all without any indentations.

I tried to insert a new column (Text 3) and used the command - Insert > Name but it only displays the title and main tasks and not the sub tasks. Can you please advice what command I could use to display the sub tasks as well.

Thanks.

Santosh

Try turning off the "Indent tasks" command to see if that sorts it out. In Project 2007 Tools > Options, and on the View tab, uncheck the option.

Julie

Great, glad to know and thanks for the feedback.

Issue with MS Project - start and end date alignment

Hello Julie,

I posted a thread a few months back about showing RAG status and you were very kind enough to help resolve. I have another issue which I am hoping you can guide and advice.

My Finish to Start days are not aligning in Project. What I mean is -

I have a Task A- say for example starts on 11/11/13 and is set for 3 days and Task B, which is linked to Task A has a duration of 2 days. So in total I should finish both the tasks in 5 days. However, finish to start dates are not aligning and Task b is starting on the same day when Task A finishes.

Task A = 3 days = 11/11/13 - 13/11/13
    Task B = 2 days - 13/11/13 - 15/11/13

Any advice.

Under Tools > Options > Calender

Default start time is 8.00
    Default end time is 17.00

Hours /day is 7.00
    Hours / week is 35
    Days/month is 20

Your default start and end time is 11 hours not 7. How many hours per day do you have set up as working time in the calendar? Check Change Working Time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12