Thread: Inserting files into a master project

Inserting files into a master project

I am using Project 2010 Proffessional standalone and wish to insert a number of projects into a master project. When I use Project / insert sub project nothing happens and my master project fields remain blank. Probably a simple solution so does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Inserting files into a master project

Sorry I cannot reproduce this. When you select Project > Insert group > Subproject
    1. Does the Insert Project dialog appear?
    2. Do you have subproject files all ready created? Do they have tasks and resources?
    3. If you uncheck "link to project" do you get a different result?

What service pack and CU please?

The insert project dialogue box doesnt appear at all - the table remains empty. Every project that I try to insert has tasks, durrations and resources assigned. I have uninstalled/reinstalled Project Pro 2010 and SP1 but not sure how to find the CU.
    Any advice anyone can give me?.

I doubt it has anything to do with your projects being inserted -- more likely something is amiss with your master project.

If you create a new master project, does it work?

Are you using Project Server?

Hi, Ive created a new master project file but the same happens. Interestingly if I open an old file (one called 'Test project' that is stored on my C drive) I can insert projects into it ok. I then created a new master project file and saved that to my C drive first but it wont accept inserted project files. Amazingly the insert sub projects dialogue box is now appearing.Im not using Project server.

Okay. Just to clarify -- is it now working for all projects? You say "Amazingly the insert sub projects dialogue box is now appearing."

Can you now select sub-projects?

In my old 'Test Project' file I can insert projects using Project>Insert project and the 'Insert project' box appears to allow me to select a project to insert. If I create a new project file via Open>New>Blank project>Create and then try to insert an existing project file I am able to select a project in the 'Inset project' box but nothing appears.

My 'test project' file was created in Project 2003 and then I saved it in Project 2010 format once I had upgraded. It works fine but any file created in Project 2010 wont allow me to insert another project.

There is clearly something different between the newly created project and the old one. I've tried experimenting with different settings and cannot reproduce what you report.

The best I can suggest:
    Open both the old 2003 file and the new file and compare Option settings.

Ensure both files are stored locally (not on a network)

In the newly created file, can you add any tasks?

Are you linking the inserted project -- or have you unchecked the "Link to Project" checkbox?

I have created a new 'Master' file and can add tasks but cant insert any file into it. The old 'Test' file works fine. Options settings are exactly the same. My workaround was to copy my 'Test' file, rename it as a 'Master' file and I can happily insert projects into it.
    If I ever find a solution I'll post it. Thanks for your time and advice.

I found this link which can help you. The link has information about inserting a project into a master project. Online help of Microsoft office has more resources on the same. You can read the links below to get more help. The second link explains more on master project and subprojects.

Insert a project into a master project

About master project and subprojects