Thread: Calculate backwards

Calculate backwards

I have recently set an end date and from this I want to calculate backwards to see when I need what. I have got all the durations and work estimated so there might be a way that I can calculate backwards. But I am not able to find it anywhere, I just want to Finish as late as possible for each task? Thanks for any help.

Re: Calculate backwards

There are many people who has a "set end date" and it doesnt mean that you must not use the standard Critical Path method. The rules of CPM is that scheduling is always done forwards from a start date and tasks are always scheduled As Soon As possible. It is important to use the CPM since you might need to know how soon Tasks can start, so that you can start them early. You can see Project and then Project Information where you can select to schedule backwards from a finish date, then all Tasks might be scheduled to start As Late As Possible.

You dont need to set the calculate from finish option. If you want to know the latest dates then simply show them by Late Start, Late Finish - Insert Columns does the trick. Also, Project gently offers you the difference between late and early Total Slack. There is also no need to calculate from finish, since CPM alwats calculates both dates. You done need to insert the columns as well and mess up the Entry Table. You just need to switch to the Schedule Table for all the proper columns.

Re: Calculate backwards

Well, it normally depends on your need whether, you just want to calculate data for a period of time or complete, if its complete data then there is no need to add a column for end date. Microsoft Project is used as a Project Time Tracking Software also so by which you can analyze the records. Hope this helps.