Thread: Printing to Adobe PDF in MS Project

Printing to Adobe PDF in MS Project

I need some help to use adobe pdf printer on MS Project. One of my friend is struggling to do the same but he is not able to get a working solution on it. When I try to do that I am getting a error saying that Printer connection is not working. Please check your printer. I had tried to do different settings but still it is not working. I am trying to save a pdf file directly from project and it started annoying me. I am sure there will be some set of alternative that will work and offer this kind of work.

Hi mark,

Are you using Project 2007? There have been reports that turning
    off the 3D Gantt Bar display helps. See Tools> Options, view tab.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along.

Julie
    Project MVP

Re: Printing to Adobe PDF in MS Project

Thanks for this suggestion. I have spent the last 2 1/2 hours trying to repair and resend MS Project 2007 to generate a file from Adobe Professional 8.3 and have been hung up in Adobe and waiting for MS Project , until I almost gave up and was going to send in a HelpDesk ticket, when I searched out this website. This was the fix that I needed for Ms Project to fix this issue and was finally able to generate from Adobe a file I could finally view and send.

Thanks so much !

I just want to provide this link below. Hope this will try to put more light on the issue. I found this link which provides information how to save the project charts in pdf form and print them out easily. There are ample of help articles on office online help. You can view the same for various issues.

Print or save a plan to PDF

I tried the above fix to no avail. still recieve the error message. any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Darylbystereo View Post
    I tried the above fix to no avail. still recieve the error message. any other suggestions?
    Could you specify in details what error message you still recieve? You can print your project plan to the PDF format only if you have Adobe Acrobat installed on your computer. You must have the full version of Acrobat, not just the free Adobe Reader. Also the Save as PDF or XPS add-in for the 2007 Microsoft Office system does not provide this functionality to Project 2007.

"The printer connection isn't working. Check your printer connections, and then try again."

I have Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard and Microsoft Project 7.

I am able to save as or print to pdf using other programs such as word, excel and autoCAD.

Project is the only program with this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Darylbystereo View Post
    "The printer connection isn't working. Check your printer connections, and then try again."

I have Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard and Microsoft Project 7.

I am able to save as or print to pdf using other programs such as word, excel and autoCAD.

Project is the only program with this problem.
    The error that you are getting may occur when the printer is part of a clustered print server. This problem was first corrected in Project 2003 Service Pack 3.To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Project 2003. For more information, click the following article number: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873459

Quote Originally Posted by simond View Post
    The error that you are getting may occur when the printer is part of a clustered print server. This problem was first corrected in Project 2003 Service Pack 3.To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Project 2003. For more information, click the following article number: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873459
    I'm using Project 2007.

Have you tried shutting off the 3D bars? Does this occur with all files or just one? What SP do you have applied to Project 2007? You should be at SP-3. Can someone else print the file to pdf? Have you tried one of the free pdf printer drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by JulieS View Post
    Have you tried shutting off the 3D bars? Does this occur with all files or just one? What SP do you have applied to Project 2007? You should be at SP-3. Can someone else print the file to pdf? Have you tried one of the free pdf printer drivers?
    3D bars are off, Im up to SP-3. I will check to see if somebody else can print. As for the Downloadable free drivers, i work for a government agency and I can not download programs and install without a ton of paperwork.

My colleague was able to print to pdf.

Thanks for that. If a colleague can print and you cannot, there must be something in the OS (not project) causing the issue. Any hope of comparing your installed software to his?