Thread: .MPG file won't play - AC3 codec doesn't work

.MPG file won't play - AC3 codec doesn't work

Hi, I’m using Dell Latitude D620 with Windows XP and Windows Media Player 10. I have a video file in .mpg extension which I need to play in an presentation after 3 days. When I try to play this file on my laptop in WMP, it points me to web page for acquire a codec but suddenly I get a message saying:

“Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or a required codec might not be installed on your computer.”

As a work around I clicked Web help button which shows me the following:
    Windows Media Player Error Message Help
    You've encountered an error message C00D10D1 while using Windows Media Player. The following information might help you troubleshoot the issue.

Codec is missing
    Windows Media Player cannot play the file (or cannot play either the audio or video portion of the file) because the AC3 Audio codec is not installed on your computer.

The missing codec might be available to download from the Internet. To search for the AC3 Audio codec, see WMPlugins.com.
    I went to the above mentioned website and downloaded AC3 Filter plugin. After installing the same, my .mpg file was able to open but plays without Video and indistinguishable sound. Can anyone provide me a permanent solution for the same?

RE: .MPG file won't play - AC3 codec doesn't work

I had exactly same problem couple of weeks ago on my Dell laptop. After lots of research I finally came through a page where I found a filter. After installing the same, I am able to play .mpg files without any problem. You can also try out the same. Download it from here http://ac3filter.net/projects/ac3filter

Re: .MPG file won't play - AC3 codec doesn't work

Do you have a DVD video (MPEG2 video) decoder, according to DecCheck ?http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en