Thread: Upgrade XP Home to Professional

Upgrade XP Home to Professional

I’m sorry if I landed in wrong section but I have a very important question to go with. I have a Windows XP Home Edition computer at my home which I want to upgrade to Xp Professional. I also bought the installation Disc of Xp professional. But the problem is I don’t want to reformat and re-install Windows and later reinstall all softwares again from start.

I just want to get it upgraded to professional with all my softwares and settings as it is. Is there any way for doing the same? Please help.

Yeah, you can do it without need of re-installing all your apps and all. Just checkout this KB article regarding the upgrade process: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;315341 or follow the steps given below:

• Insert the Windows XP Professional CD in your computer's CD/DVD-ROM
    • On the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP page, click Install Windows XP.
    • On the Welcome to Windows Setup page, click Upgrade (Recommended) in the Installation Type box (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.
    • On the License Agreement page, click I accept this agreement, and then click Next.
    • On the Your Product Key page, type the 25-character product key in the Product key boxes, and then click Next.
    • On the Get Updated Setup Files page, select the option that you want, and then click Next.
    • Now follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall Windows XP.

Hey even I’m looking for a very similar info. I too have Windows XP Home which wants to be upgraded to professional. I am trying to search for professional upgrade CD but dint found it anywhere. It seems like there is no upgrade version available. From where did you bought your copy.

Re: Upgrade XP Home to Professional

Not a Media Center related question. Many online retailers still carry it, a google search will find some.