Thread: Vista Media Center Can't Find my tuner.

Vista Media Center Can't Find my tuner.

I am running Windows Vista Media Center on my computer and am using a Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1600 which is not getting recognized in the computer. If I try to setup TV from within Windows Media Center then I will get the below error message:

"Tuner not found. The TV signal cannot be configured because no tuner hardware was detected. Please ensure your hardware is correctly installed. If you do not have tuner hardware you may purchase a tuner online from Windows Marketplace."

When checked in Device Manager then it is telling that the card is installed and working perfectly. After when I exit Windows Media Center then again I get some kind of message that is written below:

"Windows Media Center Receiver Service stopped working and was closed. To help protect your computer, Date Execution Protection has closed Windows Media Center Receiver Service."

I tried to add WMCRS to the exceptions to DEP, since it is required. And below is the information from the event log:

"Faulting application ehRecvr.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549b54f, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00ae321f, process id 0x1660, application start time 0x01c73ebb4b5fd1b4."

Can anyone tell me what should I do to solve this problem?

Re: Vista Media Center Can't Find my tuner.

Which version of Windows Vista are you using? Did you try to install any compatible MPEG2 Decoder package to use on your computer, instead of using the one that is included in Windows Vista?

You can get the Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility that helps you to determine if an MPEG-2 video decoder (also called a DVD decoder) is installed on your Windows XP computer and whether or not the decoder is compatible with Windows Media Player 10 and Windows XP Media Center Edition, download it from here - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...n.aspx?id=9817

Even I was having this similar issue and found out that after reinstalling the Vista Codec Package, Media Center started to work again without any problems. So, indeed, it was an incompatible decoder package in my case. Hope that this will help people who are facing similar kind of problem.