Thread: Windows Media Center alternative for Windows 8

Windows Media Center alternative for Windows 8

I am having a Windows 8 laptop. I had installed Windows Media Center on the same. I am using that on my TV. I had connected the TV with the laptop with HDMI and also hooked universal remote on the same. I can operate it well. But now I am a bit fed up with the same kind of look. I am looking for something more better here. A kind of media center tool which is more effective and give me more features here. Can anyone recommend me the same. I had seen many on web and I do not want to screw up my system settings. I will use it with Media Center.

Re: Windows Media Center alternative for Windows 8

What bad you find in Windows Media Center. It is one of the best tool for HTPC. You can manage multiple videos here and the interface is also very fluid. I think you must use it because they are other software but they can be more confusing for you.

There is one media center that I will really love to advice. It is XMBC. It is one of the best free media center software. To use this you will constantly need a internet connection. Being a free multimedia software does not means that it is dull or will be low on features. It is simply great. The media center comes for multiple platforms like Windows, Mac and Linux. The interface is really cool here and has nice output. It supports a wide variety of media formats. So there is no need to install third party codecs or convert your videos into something other. Additional features this tools offer is playlists option where you can create a different set of songs and videos and play them when needed. It also has audio visualizations to add effect on the screen. You can run slideshow images which one of the most common feature and tiny weather forecasts application. The best part of using xmbc is that it offers you to use a variety of third-party extensions. That is why it is my favorite. The installation and setup is extremely easy. Just run the setup, add your folders of video and audio files and then test it back.

I am using XMBC. It is really nice. It is just not a media player, it is a kind of media center software. It is correct that you can run almost all kind of audio/video format on the same. It also play any CD, DVD, or multimedia files from USB. Through lan you can stream ample of Internet channels.

For some few days I was able to work on Plex Media Center. It is another Home theater tool that works really well and offers you ample of great features. The reason to use this is, it is more lightweight compare to XMBC. You can use it as an dedicated media center software for your pc. The new version here is more better. It is actually based on XBMC. With advance features and multimedia file manager features you can do number of things here. You can also copy your files and keep them at a central server. Through the same media player you can also share them online. So that makes your job much more easier. On the other hand you can also transfer the same to other platforms. Like I am having two Linux pc on my network. Through this I can transfer newly added videos in them. This is not supported by XMBC. I like the File Sharing feature which is really great. The media center has support for many codecs. So there is nothing worry about what audio or video files you are having. It just play everything here.

In terms of media center I will also say XMBC is good. But if you need something similar to Windows Media Center then just test out Media Portal. This is seriously better. The software still lies in the initial stages of development but it already offers many interesting features. Through this you can manage music, movies, pictures, TV channels, etc .The interface is very nice.

I will also recommend installing XBMC. Because through this you can manage many thing. Via Internet you can manage updates here and install them whenever you want. Through Home screen which is the starting point of this media center you can access almost everything here. I like the tool because it is very fluidity. The menus here are simple. There are some free themes also available which you can use to manage your system. All sections here are here divided in terms of different categories. Like you can look Weather forecast separately, also you can check out Pictures in a different section. The same is also very smooth and very clean. Which makes it my first choice for laptops. I do not think you will be able to find anything better than this. Adding pictures and videos this media center is simply very easy. You just drop your favorites folders in the same and then check it back.

You can test all of them one by one to find out which is best. There are many free media center software available other than XMBC. Like Moovida, Plex, etc. I think you are just looking for some option by which you can manage your video library and that can be done well through xmbc.