Thread: Mac media server operating via dvd or hdd

Mac media server operating via dvd or hdd

I am appearing to be as specified at backing up 500+ DVD's to clear a number of flat space and was wondering regarding the most excellent method of doing so. Necessitate to go commencing from DVD to MacBook then from MacBook to storage media with the intention of I be able to fire up and play several film from through the AV amp. I have encompassed a Macbook pro and presume firstly I determine to necessitate to convert every DVD to a single AVI file. I picked up a number of free software to do this and attempting one film which took regarding 15 mins additional than doing this 500+ times will surely knacker the DVD drive.

Re: Mac media server operating via dvd or hdd

In my terms of storage I have given impression to at a 2TB Cyclone Primus with the intention of I be able to maintain plugged into my amp and mains other than when I borrowed one it might not let me drag and drop content commencing from my MacBook additional than might let me transfer from the Primus to the MacBook. Conspicuously a number of these HDD's are funny through Apple products other than I have in addition been positioned in the direction of a LaCie Cinema 2TB player.

I have encompassed a plextor bluray drive associated to my mac, utilize mkv straight into my nas. I am a complete noob to this mate. Is the Blu Ray drive to conserve the MacBooks DVD drive commencing from burnout. I have merely acquire DVD's I necessitate to backup. Just presently necessitate pointing in the right direction of the most excellent method of file conversion / software if necessary and I had a superior 2TB HDD that is compatible through my kit.

The MKV is a universal container so it be able to hold several accompaniment of video and audio, typically the majority users utilize MKV in two scenarios. The Rip a DVD to the HDD utilizing MakeMKV, this extracts the video commencing from side to side no conversion, similar quality as original disc so you have encompassed a standalone MPEG-2/MKV file of the most important movie. This is a fast procedure as there is no video encoding and it in addition saves space by discarding the extras from the disc, in addition you be able to deselect numerous unwanted subtitles and audio tracks in MakeMKV previous to ripping.

The Boxee Box determine to read the NAS and you be able to add shortcuts to the NAS folders for quick right of entry when file browsing additional than Boxee in addition scans the media and it will come into view in the movie section through coverart and metadata it does this by scanning the file name of the movie e.g Ghostbusters.mkv and matching with the intention of to the iMDB entries.