Thread: TV Tuner and Digital cable

TV Tuner and Digital cable

My system has a TV tuner card and today i have bought a HD tv, currently i have switched to digital. On the other hand i have STB and i want to know if i can get digital on my system. My friends are saying that i will have to get another STB for the system as well but i am not sure about the same. I have tried changing Media Center settings and have switched to digital antenna but then i am getting 5 stations and their signals are quite week. Is there anything else i can try out rather than getting another STB for my system????

Re: TV Tuner and Digital cable

If you are referring to digital channels then you will have to get a STB for viewing and recording them from MCE box. If you are not willing to get another STB for your system then you can get new certified MCE PC and get a cable card from your provider on rent. I think buying a STB wold be a better idea for getting any reception.

Did you fix this issue in your case??? I am running in to same situation, i have Time Warner Cable box setup with HD DVR converter box and it is connected to my HDTV. Apart from these thing i have another system with TV tuner which is connected by cable and HDTV set-top antenna. I don't have any issue in receiving basic analog cable channels and some HD signals, but HD signals ate very weak.

So i want to know if there is a way by which i can receive digital and HD channels without upgrading the antenna or getting another set-top box. Can i use some 3rd party cable boxes without activating TWC for digital and HD tuning capabilities for the channels that i am receiving. There are few converter boxes but they are not compatible with my home cable system and they are quite costly as well. Isn't there any cheap compatible 3rd party box ???? any help regrading this will be highly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Re: TV Tuner and Digital cable

I am not aware of any cheap 3rd party box that might be compatible with your home cable system. I will suggest you to get a Cable Card tuner for system and lease cable card from your cable provider. As far as i can guess they will charge you $2 per month only, i don't think you should have any issue with that, what say???