Thread: Playing from an UPnP AV/iTunes server

Playing from an UPnP AV/iTunes server

I have already checked that we can share loads of the music to other devices but nothing on playing music from other devices? I have bought myself a Dlink DNS-313 NAS which is running UPnP AV server and itunes server both. Is there a way to get Windows Media Player see this and play files from it? Thanks for any suggestions.

RE: Playing from an UPnP AV/iTunes server

The UPnP protocol is supported by Windows which is the industry standard to share media over a network. If you are having Vista then you will be able to play the media on other devices with UPnP servers and these devices can play the content on the Vista box as well. But if you are using Windows XP then you wont be able to play the media on other devices since they can play the content on XP. You have to enable UPnP first in Windows XP. Then in WMP put the Media Sharing on. After that in the navigation pane, all media servers are listed just like the standard library. After then only You will be able to see all the media servers in your network environment.

I dont think that it will let Windows Media Player to play it but you will be able to run itunes on Windows Xp and then it will be able to see the itunes server on the NAS box.

Re: Playing from an UPnP AV/iTunes server

If you are really using a NAS then you can try to just point Windows Media Player to it so that you can source its media files from the file sharing by using "Search for media files" and there will be also no need to invoke UPnP or other things.