Thread: How to stop Media Player 11 from Auto playing CDs

How to stop Media Player 11 from Auto playing CDs

I am using Windows Vista on my machine with Windows Media Player and most of the times when I insert a CD, then it will automatically begin to play in the media player. So, I was wondering if there is any way to stop this auto playing of the CDs when I insert them in the cd/dvd drive. I have tried the Auto Play options in Control Panel but they dont seem to have any effect on the WMP because it is still playing them automatically? Any ideas?

Re: How to stop Media Player 11 from Auto playing CDs

I was having same problem in my Windows Media Player 10 version but was able to fix this issue. You need to go into Registry Editor and then search for the entry called HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences and here check if the CDAutoPlay key is set to 1, if it is then change the same to 0 and then you will not get the same annoying auto play popup again.

You can try to go into Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Under the "AutoPlay" option you have to click on the "Change default settings for autoplay". After that you will have to change the settings to "Take no action" also, if I am correct. If that doesnt work then try to install the WMP Tag Plus which should be able to fix the issue. WMP Tag Plus is a free Windows Media Player plug-in that adds support for reading and writing tags (metadata) of additional music formats like FLAC, Ogg Vorbis and WavPack, just download it by searching on the net.