Thread: Aspect ratio resetting to 4:3, but only in WMP11

Aspect ratio resetting to 4:3, but only in WMP11

I am having few videos in .MOD extension recorded by my Digital camera. All these videos are in 16:9 aspect ratio and when I play it in Windows Media Player on Vista system, it plays them in 4:3 instead of 16:9. When I play the same in VLC it plays them fine with 16:9 ratio. I tried converting them in other formats like AVI and MPG but still WMP plays in the same 4:3.

I don’t think I have codec problem because system is already loaded with latest DiVX codec. I thought it could be the problem of Video driver hence I updated the same but still the problem persists. Do you guys have any idea what is wrong with WMP? Is there any way to fix the issue? Thanks in advance for your helps.

RE: Aspect ratio resetting to 4:3, but only in WMP11

You surely don’t have any problem with your system, wmp , drivers or codecs. Because when few manufacturers such as JVC or Panasonic implemented cameras with MOD extension, they also decided not to properly implement the "widescreen" flag as well. SDCopy changes the file extension AND properly formats the widescreen flag on the file. So you should better contact your camera manufacturer and ask them for help about this.

Re: Aspect ratio resetting to 4:3, but only in WMP11

Thanks for your reply friend. Oh - I wasn't aware of that, thx for the info. Does this affect only specific cameras in the range, or just the SD cameras ?

I see alot of people saying to rename the file. How do I do this? I know it is not as simple as "right click" "rename" but I can't figure out how to change the extension on the mpeg from .mod to .mpg

I know I am probably the most comp ill member you have sen in a while