Thread: Media Player 11 does not play wma or mp3 files

Media Player 11 does not play wma or mp3 files !!! !!!

Media player in my system is not playing any mp3 or wma files, i can see the time bar moving along with the visualizations running up and downs as per the beat but i don't know for what unknown reason i am not getting the sound. Has anyone else faced the same issue or has any idea for fixing it???

same here

I think your media player is having old codecs, so to fix this issue install newer codecs and cross check if mp3 or wma files get played properly after that. I was running in to same scenario once but later i found that my media player was having old codecs and new codecs were must for wma files.

Are you quite sure that this issue is because of codec?

I mean i have some dvds that gets played fine and some other music files including wma and mp3 as well but i have this issue with most of the wma and mp3 files. I have updated my windows media player 11 and its having latest codecs installed already. I also wanted to add that i can play all wma and mp3 files in quick time and vlc without any issues, this issue is just with media player.

I guess you have set audio playback to too high playback quality. In order to fix it you will have to set it to lower playback quality.

If you are running windows vista in your system that go in to sound > playback tab > properties > advanced tab > and change default format to 48000hz in case it is set to 192000hz.

I had that problem with Media Player 11 refusing to play MP3 and WMA files? Anyway it was a settings issue with my audio playback settings. If you are having this issue and are running Windows Vista then follow these directions to change your audio playback settings: you right click on the speaker icon which is usually on the desktop toolbar in the lower right corner of your display. Then click on Playback Devices then double click on either Headphones or Speakers (whichever one your using?). Then click on the Advanced tab and then click on pull down menu (little black arrow pointing down on right) which will give you a range of sampling rate/bit depth selections. Now select "2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)" setting and click on Apply then click on OK. This resolved my issue with Media Player 11 not playing MP3 and WMA files. Why the setting changed to a much higher sampling/bit rate which resulted in Media Player not playing the MP3 or WMA files properly? I hope this helps? Vaya Con Dios!

Re: Media Player 11 does not play wma or mp3 files

go to control panel and click on default programs. scroll down to associate a file type with a program. allow field to populate and scroll down to mp3, click on current default and set program. hope this helps

Re: Media Player 11 does not play wma or mp3 files

Think this might help. I was having the same problem and this was the only thread I came across similar to my problem. I could play cd's but could not play most mp3's/wma's. I found the problem was the audio playback was set to too higher playback quality ((Vista) Sound, playback tab, properties, advanced tab, default format). I changed default format from 192000hz to 48000hz, restarted media player and hey presto. Hope this helps.