Thread: .avi problems with audio/video syncing and choppy video

.avi problems with audio/video syncing and choppy video

I bought a new HP Pavilion TX1320SU laptop that came with Vista Home and Windows media Player 11 pre-installed. System is working fine but am having problems playing .AVI files on WMP 11. Whenever I try playing any avi files, video and audio become off sync, especially when in full screen mode. I tried out changing few settings but nothing seems to be working. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: .avi problems with audio/video syncing and choppy video

Well the information you have given is not enough to recognize the problem. Anyway, we need to go through a test to get the actually problem source. I guess you have set full acceleration for media player video playback and hence the system is taking too load resulting the choppy video. But to make it confirm start Windows Player, open Task Manager and click on Performance Tab. Here check what is the Cpu and memory usage. See if its full while playing the videos in Windows Media Player. If yes, then full acceleration is set and you need to lower it.

You can do this by going to WMP options, click Performance and drop frames to keep audio and video synchronized. Let me know the results.

Re: .avi problems with audio/video syncing and choppy video

Hey buddy, thanks a lot for the quick help and suggestions. As you suggested I lower the frames and now the CPU usage is around 70% while running AVI files in WMP. The complete score results are as follows:
    Processor: 4.8
    Memory: 5.3
    Graphics: 3.2
    Gaming Graphics: 3.0
    Primary Hard Disk: 5.1

What now?

I think you should try re-installing your video card drivers. Don’t it from Windows update but visit your manufacturer’s website and download/install form there.

Also can you tell me whether the file you are trying to download play is saved on local hard drive or you playing it from any external drive, CD drive or network?