Thread: Windows media player 11 for vista doesnt open any more ..

Windows media player 11 for vista doesnt open any more ..

Yesterday I ran a Windows Update on Windows Vista laptop running with WMP 11. Since then don’t know what went wrong my windows media player is not working any more. When I try to open it, it just wont open. I thought to re-install WMP 11 again but when I run the setup, it gets failed. When I checked Windows Media Configuration Manager, it says:

“there is a more recent version of windows media player (11.0.6000.6336) already installed on your computer. It is not possible to use an older version package (11.0.5721.5146) to install files or to repair your current version of the player.”

Somebody please help.

I am having the exact same problem. Wwindows media player stopped working after I did a Windows Vista update.I tired a system restore but that didn't work. I think some other people have asked this same thing but they still haven't figured out the problem.ok. i just tried uninstalling all the updates and any programs I installed in the last little while and the player still doesn't work.

What is strange is that it works when you right click on it and run as administrator. I can't even use the Netflix movie player because I guess the two are connected somehow. I finally got it working.

I just inserted the Vista disc and checked "Install Now" and just did an upgrade (it upgrades windows but it keeps all your files etc...) and now it works. we dint required to do a clean install just an upgrade...

you just insert the disc when you have windows up and follow the instructions until you get to the page that says "Install Now" continue along and you will have two choices "Upgrade" or "clean Install" .. just do an upgrade.. it will still keep all your files etc... you don't get the upgrade option if you do a boot from the Vista disc so you have to run it when you have windows open...

I have the same problem.
    I tried to uninstall it completely , yet I still get this message that there is a newer version(11.0.6000.6336) and so I can't reinstall it.
    I need the vista version yet they only seem to have the xp version online.
    How can it say that I have a newer version if I uninstalled it?
    I checked the program files and it is not listed anymore,I searched the files and folders for any shortcut items or similar related to the media player and deleted them. And it says I still have it ?
    I don't get it .

So for now I installed the real player

i don't have the vista disc just 4 recovery discs that came with my vista preloaded toshiba laptop.can I get the media player with the recovery discs without doing a full reinstall to factory settings?

I do have the "Windows Anytime Upgrade" disc.I thought that this was software to upgrade to vista ultimate etc. which will cost more money.
    Am I wrong ?

so did you do the upgrade and chose the same vista edition that your computer came with ?
    Otherwise you would have to pay right?

I think I'll do a factory restore,since I've got more issues now with vista.

I did the factory re-installation and my media player works again.
    I also had other software that wouldn't work on my vista laptop and tech support said it could be related to a vista update.
    And that program works now after the full re-installation.
    I haven't done any updates at all.I'm to scared that it messes up my system.
    And there are a few updates that cannot be undone once installed.

Re: Windows media player 11 for vista doesnt open any more ..

I had exactly the same problem and finally found the solution :)

double clicking on avi launched auto WMP which crashed immediately, launching WMP "alone" crashed it too immediately.

From the various forums i read here and there, none had the solution, except all trying to explain you that there were no solution except reinstalling Vista ^^

No way!

There's an easy AND OFFICIAL fix for it, it worked for me, i can launch WMP now with no problem :)
    The idea is that one of the program we installed modified the official wmp.dll.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947541