Thread: Windows media player 11 not working

Windows media player 11 not working

I have a Windows Vista computer at my home. I am using Windows Media Player as my default option to play media files. Somehow there was a problem with configuration. When I launch it by double clicking on the icon I am getting a error. I am trying to run that in admin account but still it is not working well. I had configured Windows Media Player as a default option to play all audio/video files.

I tried this fix but now when I click on a WMP,MPEG, or other video file all I get is a few clicks out of IE, previously it would try to download the media file instead of just playing it. Any suggestions? This one is driving me nuts. Byt the way, I did previously try registering wmp.dll to fix this issue, but of course that didn't do anything.

This is due to bard third party filter or codec installed on your system. Windows Vista has major issue with codecs. Because of that you are facing issue. You have to wipe out the old codec first and remove Windows Media Player. Later on install a fresh setup and then check back. I am sure this is going to work quiet well.

wmp problems...solution

Try to re-register wmp.dll. If you are in vista go to start and right click command prompt and choose run as administrator and then type "regsvr32 wmp.dll" without the quotes. Hit OK to the prompt and restart your computer afterwards.

The issue lies with setup. Try to downgrade the edition of Windows Media Player in your system. You said that you are using Vista and I am sure that new version is buggy and it is not going to work well. There is a small tip that you can try. Run cmd in admin mode and then type regsvr32 wmp.dll and hit enter. Try to run media player back. I am sure it will work.

What breaks the progressive downloads, re-registering a DLL? Also, on vista you CANNOT re-register with regsvr32 without elevation first. If command prompt is not in your immediate start menu, navigate to "accessories" first... it should be there, then right click and choose run as administrator.

mine does the same thing. The only thing I have downloaded were some windows vista updates a few days ago and now my windows media player doesn't work. Yeah, it will work if I run it as administrator. I hope, the only thing that happened was a few days ago windows did it's update thing and windows media player seemed to stop working after that. I haven't installed anything else in the last little while. Right now I was just going to try a repair from the Vista disc. Does anybody have any idea? I finally got it working. I just inserted the Vista disc and checked "Install Now" and just did an upgrade (it upgrades windows but it keeps all your files etc...)

Well I managed to fix my problem with WMP not playing content from web sites, somehow WMP was disassociated as my default media player.