Thread: XP Media Sharing in WMP 11 problem

XP Media Sharing in WMP 11 problem

I am not able to troubleshoot media sharing on Windows XP. I had upgraded Media Player to 11 and now none of the shared files are accessible. I had connected a PlayStation on the network also. There are two more desktop computers which are connected to the central one that act as media server. Now the issue lies with a laptop which has Vista on it. The PS3 and other desktop are capable of accessing my media files, but somehow the issue lies with Vista laptop. It does not read any shared folders. I am frustrated by making constant changes.

Go to Control Panel and then open Administrative Tools. In that look for Services. There you can find a SSDP Discovery Service. Start it and also start Universal Plug and Play. If both of this are running your Vista system would be able to get the shared media files. Also ensure that Media Sharing is turned on by default.

I think there might be some different problem. It can also be due to security applications in your system. I will advice you to turn off the same for sometime and then check. I was not able to access any shared media on PS3 due to firewall. It was turned on and I had added it under the exception list also. But still it was not able to read it. But as I turned off the firewall the files are accessible.

Re: XP Media Sharing in WMP 11 problem

Not sure if this thread is still going, but it did get me started and I found a solution.

This worked for me with a Denon ASD-51N, Denon AVR-890, and Windows XP Pro SP3.

Note: Anything in your Windows Media Player 11 playlists will show up in your media server. You might what to clean these up or delete them before you start adding folders to your shared folders.

1. Install Denon ASD-51N as per supplied directions.
    2. Setup network as per on ASD-51N as per supplied instructions.
    3. On computer with Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP3 install Windows Media Player 11.
    4. Pick the following buttons: Start => Settings => Control Panel => Administrative Tools => Services => SSDP Discovery Service => General tab.
    5. Make sure "Startup type:" is set to "Manual" and the "Service status:" is "Started".
    6. Press "OK" and scroll down to "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" and double click on it.
    7. Make sure "Startup type:" is set to "Manual" and the "Service status:" is "Started".
    8. Press "OK" and close all windows.
    9. Open Windows Media Player 11.
    10. Pick the "Library" button at the top of Windows Media Player 11 and then "More Options..." in the pulldown menu.
    11. Pick the "Library" tab and pick "Configure Sharing...".
    12. Pick the device you want to share your media on and make sure the "Share my media to:" radio button is checked.
    13. Pick the "OK" button.
    14. Pick the "Monitor Folders..." button on the "Library" tab.
    15. Pick the "Add..." button and browse to the folder that contains the media you want to share then press the "OK" button.
    16. The "Add files to the library..." should start scanning. When the Progress changes to "Search completed", press the "Close" button.
    17. Go to the Denon ASD-51N and pick the the "Network" button then the "Media Server" button.
    18. Your computer should show up and you can browse through your media and play it.

Good Luck!

I know that this thread is very old but the last post by bottleneck70 was the only one that I have found anywehere on the internet that has the exactly the same problem and hardware config that I have, i.e. XP with SP3 and a Denon ASD-51. However, I've followed everything in the post and it still hasn't worked for me. I can see the Denon media player on my XP machine but I just can't see the XP machine on the Denon. I also have Windows 7 laptop which the Denon can see, even though I haven't authorised it to share. I've tried almost everything but I'm just going round in circles (and pulling my hair out!!).
    i would be grateful for any help that anyone can give... Denon don't seem to have any support pages, although this is getting to be quite a complex. A very happy and prosperous new year to all who may read this...

i was having the same original problem in this thread. i couldn't get windows media player to share. i tried everything stated above but nothing worked. here's how i fixed it. hopefully this will help somewhat for those trying to connect other devices.
    **note: the SSDP and universal plug and play services are both set to start type: manual**

control panel>> administrative tools>> services>> windows media player network sharing service>> right click>> properties>>

select "start type: automatic". then click apply. after that click "start" and "ok."

open windows media player>> library options>> check the "share my media to:" box.

now just wait for it to load and you should see whatever device you are attempting to connect to (assuming it's turned on). you also may need to reboot your computer. now you shouldn't get the error:

"The Universal Plug and Play Device Host service on Local Computer started
    and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to
    do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

and windows media player will finally start sharing... hopefully

Hi brizzleb33,
    thanx for your help. Unfortunately, I already had those options set, but for good measure, I stopped and restarted them, still no success. Restarted the computer as well. As I didn't know where the issue is, I relocated the problem PC next to the actual dock, and plugged the PC directly into the same router (BT HomeHub) where the Denon dock is plugged into. Still not working. At least doing this has ruled out the mains Devolo's that I use. I am now convinced that it is purely a XP issue. Either of my Windows7 machines are seen by the dock and after authorising them, I can play any (limited) media that reside on them. However, my daughters machine also runs XP and even though it sees the Denon dock, and you can authorise it to share media to, the dock just doesn't see it at all. And therefore the only common denominator is XP?
    Can anyone help me please, I have spent so much time on this.

hmm... it could be a lot of different things. honestly the easiest fix would be to use something other than windows media player to share. i have used vuze in the past with my xbox, so i know it works on xp. not sure if it works with the Denon though... but there are other programs out there as well. if you choose that route i'd be interested to know what you end up using for future reference.