Thread: error when play avi. file

error when play avi. file

I get below error message when i try to play avi. file in windows media player 11.

"Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help."

If i click on OK than i get redirected to this site. I have followed the solution there but i that has not made any difference in my case.

Re: error when play avi. file

Were you ever able to play avi. file in windows media player 11? or this issue has started suddenly??? I also want to know if you are able to play c:\windows\clock.avi ? If you haven't checked that out, than try playing it now and let me know the result for further help.

I have tried playing c:\windows\clock.avi but i am getting the same error message again. I am not able to play avi. file since updating to windows media player 11?. I was using windows media player 1o and i never had any issue with that. This error message started coming up after updating to 11. I through simply reverting back to 10 will help me out but i was wrong. It seems media player has passed it issue to 10 as well. Currently i am using media player 10 and i want to know if there is any other thing that i can try out to play avi files with it.

I think you will have to do clean installation of windows media player 11. In order to do that follow below steps:
    • Boot in to safemode and uninstall WMP11
    • Delete regkey-HKLM/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/uninstall/WMP11
    • Reboot in to normal mode and reinstall media player 11. Once it gets installed restart your system again and cross check if you are able to play avi files now.

I tried all these solutions... did not work. THEN I remembered that it all started going south when I installed some Divx codecs. I removed those and it now works fine!

Install KLite Codec pack. This is free to find on web that you can use on your system and it is a essential update. The best thing to do is use VLC player which runs almost every kind of format without the need of any kind of codec installation. It works fine and there is no issue with whatever video format you. Leaving the blu ray thing VLC provides you support for almost all kind of video format.