Thread: Can't play DVDs on WMP 11 & Vista

Can't play DVDs on WMP 11 & Vista

This is newly assembled computer running with Windows Vista and WMP 11. Everything is working fine but whenever I try playing commercial DVD in WMP, I get the following error message:

“Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer.”

Somebody suggested me to use Cineplayer DVD Decoder Pack 2.3.1-ESD from Roxio. Well I did the same and now Windows Media Player say:

“Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings.”

So far I have done all settings that I’m aware abut but nothing seems to be working. So I request you guys to please provide some valuable suggestion. Many thanks.

Re: Can't play DVDs on WMP 11 & Vista

By default Windows Media Player is not capable of playing DVDs because it don’t have the required codec. So either you need to install the codec or any compatible DVD player. Though you have purchased one from Roxio but I don’t know why it is not working for you yet. I’m using Corel DVD decoders since a year now and never had any problem. So if you want you can go with the same as well. Download / purchase it from here OR you can download the open source VLC media Player.

Thanks a lot for your help buddy. I visited that corel decoder’s website but before I made the purchase, need to k know two things. First, which one should I buy. There are 3 different editions. Second, are you using Vista? Is it vista compatible?

RE: Can't play DVDs on WMP 11 & Vista

You can buy the least one and yeah, all of them are compatible with Windows Vista.

I am having the same problem. I have Windows Vista Home Basic. I couldn't originally play DVDs on WMP 11 because of an Audio codec I was missing so I downloaded the K-lite Codec pack. And then tweaked my settings and it worked fine, now all of a sudden I can't play DVDs because the follow error message comes up.

"Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings."

I did this but I still get the same error message.

I also have VLC and I tried the DVDs on that, but it screws up and won't play, I don't understand this because it use to work fine.

Please help.