Thread: Error getting DRM Machine ID

Error getting DRM Machine ID

I am trying to sync protected music files. I had added them to the local public library and it is been seen on the shared network. The files are located in a protected Overdrive media console. I am getting a error while accessing them. The error coded is 0xC00D2781. The a message description is A problem has occurred in retrieving the Digital Rights Management machine identification. I am using Windows Media Player 11 here. Does anyone can help me to troubleshoot this error.

The music file will not play at all due to missing media usage rights. Instead of that if you use a cd or any optical media to play songs that, will work fine. The protected files have license and you just cannot get rid of that. You had bought those media files and you have access to them on single pc only. They cannot be transferred.

Many are facing the issue. Those folders which are DRM protected cannot be shared easily over the network. I was wondering that upgrade might fix that. I upgraded the edition of Media Player but still the issue is same. The DRM protected files is still not accessible on other networks.

You need to go to Windows Explorer and under Tools you need to go to Folder Options and select View All Files and Folders. Then you will be able to find the folder you are looking for. It's a hidden file. This worked perfect for me.

Step by Step… Here we go…

1. Open Windows Explorer
    2. Select Tools
    3. Select Folder Options
    4. Select the View tab
    5. Select Show hidden files and folders
    6. Select Apply then OK
    7. Go to My Computer (still in Windows Explorer)
    8. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users

Here you should now see the DRM folder from here on follow the instructions as told before. Change the file name to DRM.old and rerun Windows Media Player Security Upgrade in the OverDrive Media Console.

Security Upgrade Problems

I had to go to 'Tools' > 'Manage Add-ons' > 'Enable or Disable Add-ons' and enable the add-ons. I'm not sure which ones you need, but I just enabled them all. Then it worked for me. It installed and now I can download with OverDrive!

Thanks for that link!

My Upgrade button is grayed out. It is not working at all. I had tried to enable a number of addons which also is not working. Also is there a way to remove those DRM things from the files. What I found is this files have some strong protection related to drm and you cannot share them on other devices.

Re: Error getting DRM Machine ID

Here are some more details that are missing in previous postings:

Error Message regarding Digital Rights Management machine identification

Error OXCOOD2781 problem retrieving Digital Rights Management machine identification. Contact Microsoft product support.

Please make sure to follow each step carefully.

1. Open the “Control Panel”.

2. Open “Folder Options” and select the “View” tab.

3. Select “Show hidden files and folders”.

4. Un-check “Hide protected operating system files”.

5. In the warning message you receive, click “Yes”.

6. Click “OK”.

7. Close the Control Panel.

8. Rename the DRM folder to DRM.old.

Depending on your OS, it can be found in different locations: - Windows 2000 and XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ DRM - Windows 98: C:\Windows\All Users\DRM - Windows ME: C:\Windows\DRM

9. Close this window and open OverDrive Media Console.

10. Go to “Tools > Windows Media Player Security Upgrade”. If it will not run from the OverDrive Media Console, the security upgrade may also be run by going to (in Internet Explorer only) the following site: http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite (Please make sure to have Javascript and ActiveX enabled as well.)

11. Attempt to download an OverDrive Audio Book.

Return to MLC Digital Libraries

Retrieved from "http://mlc.lib.mi.us/wiki/index.php/Error_Message_regarding_Digital_Rights_Management_machine_identification"

Try to enable to see all hidden files and folder. There is some folder which is named as drm. You can get rid of that to avoid this blockage. But somehow it might not work well. And it will be complicated to restore those settings in future.

Re: Error getting DRM Machine

I have a new computer running Windows 7 64 with WMP 12. tried all of the above, finally hit the jackpot after following suggestions re: renaming DRM folder, disabling fire wall AND (in internet explorer tools), enabling Windows Media Player add-ons (seems like a given but........... might help someone else!!). Now to see if it actually works!

DRM is the digital write media protection technology which does not allows you to copy data of original disk. It is annoying sometime. There are certain tools that can remove it. You can download DRM Removal utility. It is freely available on internet. Just run the tool and then check back. You can also try to use many converters which are equipped with DRM removal service to convert the disc files to run in your regular pc.

Hello. I discovered a simpler and shorter way of fixing the greyed out button problem. I tried opening using Internet Explorer (as my default browser is Firefox, wont work on chrome or opera as well) and it solved the problem. Hope this helps.

Erwin