Thread: Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file.

I am running Windows Vista on 3 machines and having Windows Media Player 11 which is not working properly on any machines. I am also not able to uninstall this software? And sometimes it will work for one week and the next week it wont work at all? I am also not able to install the old version of WMP? I have done all the updates but still it is to hard to make it work. Is there anyone who can solve this issue? Thanks

Re: "Windows Media Player Encountered a problem while playing..."

When you install a third-party product that registers its own version of the Wmp.dll file on a Windows Vista-based computer. Windows Media Player stops responding. To fix this problem for you, go to the “Fix it for me” section. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, go to the “Let me fix it myself” section here - http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9657451

Re: Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file.

Get Windows Media Player 12 in your system. This is the new version and is better if you are going for a live streaming work. Due to upgraded version you get a better media player with many features. There are ample of bug fixes in this version also. Windows Media Player 12 comes with easy media streaming option. You just required to share the media folder via it and done.

I found some number of similar threads which are discussing on the same topic. I will recommend you to read the below list once to find general troubleshooting options. The issue lies mostly with corrupt file or with a improper codec.

I am unable to play mp4 file in Windows Media Player 11

Re: Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file.

There can be cases where media file are corrupted or are unreadable by Windows Media Player because of which you are getting that error. So it is recommended that first you check the files are proper or not. Convert them mp4 if possible with a good convertor. There are certain convertor which can enhance the quality of existing media and make the streaming much more better like VLC. It is not a compulsion to use Windows Media Player only.

I had gone through those replies. I faced a similar issue some month before when I was also using Windows Media Player 11. After upgrading to Windows Media Player 12 I found this more beneficial and better to use. Adding additional type of codec allows you to have multiple options to play media files. Keep your system upto date always to find proper updates to avoid such issues.

"Windows Media Player Encountered a problem while playing "

I recommend that you send an e-mail to tech support. Run the get support files utility and attach the resulting nerosupport.cab to your e-mail. This problem isnt that uncommon and I think theyll be able to resolve it for you.