Thread: WMP11 High CPU USAGE

WMP11 High CPU USAGE

I installed Windows XP on a new self assembled computer. After installing all softwares I even upgraded my Windows Media Player to v11 and enabled file sharing. There wasn’t any problem through the process but when I checked my task manager I found that my CPU usage keeps on between 50% to 100%. I monitored this for the next two days and finally figured out the problem is windows media player.

So to bring the CPU usage down, I turned off file sharing but that dint helped. The only way I found to make it normal was to manually kill the process named “wpmnetwk.exe”. As soon as I End this process, my CPU comes to 0%. But this is not the permanent solution as the process starts automatically again in few minutes.

Do you guys have any thought on this?

RE: WMP11 High CPU USAGE

No replies so far? Anyway, No problem. I managed to fix it myself. As I tried out many thing but all were useless, at last I reverted back to Windows Media Player 10 and guess what, my CPU remains at 0% to 2%. Yeah, that is the normal state. So the conclusion is WMP v11 seems buddy to me. Never upgrade it.

Re: WMP11 High CPU USAGE

Ever since I upgraded to window media player 10 (? Or is it 11? I'll ck be sure), whenever I use it to simply play an audio mucic cd, it slows down the rest of my programs. I'm running on:
    • Windows xp pro 2002
    • sp2
    • intel(R)
    • Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    • 2.80 GHz, 0.98 GO of RAM

I can have a dozen different programs running just fine w/ System Idle CPU at upper 90's, until i Play an audio cd. Then instantly the System Idle CPU's drop to around 50% with WMP taking up most of the rest of CPU's. This happens the same even if the only thing open is WMP.

If i have a dozen programs open and running, as well as WMP open (but not actually playing anything on WMP) then the CPU's are normal, upper 90's for System Idle and all programs run great. So it is ONLY when i actually PLAY something on WMP.