Thread: A license is required to play this file error on Windows Media Player

A license is required to play this file error on Windows Media Player

I am trying to play a file from one that I ripped from external hard drive, and then a media page comes up saying that a license is needed to play this file and also that the file was protected. After that if I click to download the license then an error message comes up and tells me that my firefox browser is not having windows media services plugin installed? Can anyone tell me how to rectify this issue? Thanks.

re: A license is required to play this file error on Windows Media Player

You need to open Firefox and then go to its address bar and then type in - about:plugins. After that hit enter and you will see a list of plugins that firefox has. Then you will need to install some files called npdrmv2.dll and npwmsdrm.dll from the Mozilla webpage in order to playback the protected DRM content in windows media player.

The problem that you are facing may occur if you have made one or more of the following changes to your computer hardware:

1. You recently changed hardware components, such as the CPU or the motherboard.
    2. You modified any one of your computer's Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) settings that affect hardware components, such as disabling CPU hyper-threading.
    3. You moved the hard disk drive from one computer to another computer.

More information here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891664

re: A license is required to play this file error on Windows Media Player

You need to open Internet Explorer browser and then close all other browser and windows media player as well. Then go to this page and click on the "Upgrade" button - http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/...en/indivit.asp. Check if the problem is fixed now?