Thread: Windows Media Player 11 Exporting wmdb library to excel/access look at tags

Windows Media Player 11 Exporting wmdb library to excel/access look at tags

I have installed iTunes and am trying to organize my music folder which is quite messed up. After that the installation I have 1 music folder with 2000 music files which is of 8 gb in size. Windows Media Player was able to find all the music files and also got back their tags. Now I want to export the library file to excel file and for that I created a batch file to move the music files into a new folder under the Album that is found in the MP3 tag information. I used Media Info Exporter which is not exporting at all. Then I used Media Library Exporter that normally works till half of the process and then gives .net error and hangs. Now I am looking for a method to export the library file located %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media
    Player\CurrentDatabase_346.wmdb in either excel or access. So can anyone tell me how to achieve the same? Thanks

Re: Windows Media Player 11 Exporting wmdb library to excel/access look at tags

Can you try to turn on the Windows Media Player's rename and re-arrange settings in the library options and check if it is doing all of its own automatically for you in the background? This thing is actually hardcoded as:

Rip Music folder
    Album Artist 1
    Album1
    Album2
    Album Artist 2

Re: Windows Media Player 11 Exporting wmdb library to excel/access look at tags

I will try what ever you have said but it might have been also nice if you could have told me a method to extract the WMDB file. Thanks for the suggestions.

When you move media files from one location to another, the file name and path information remain unchanged in the Windows Media Player library. When you select a file to play from the new location, a new entry is created in the Windows Media Player library. As a result of this, the Windows Media Player library may quickly contain a large number of invalid entries. You can delete the invalid links individually from the library and then create a New Library by following the steps given here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272116