Thread: Creative Zen Xtra Stops Working After Windows Media Player 11 Installed

Creative Zen Xtra Stops Working After Windows Media Player 11 Installed

I recently found out that the Creative Zen Xtra that I have is actually a PlaysForSure capable device. I have also already installed the Creative Zen Xtra PlaysForSure Firmware when it was released. After the firmware was upgraded on the device then Windows started to recognize the Zen Xtra as a MTP device and everything was working well since at both windows media player and Napster I was able to synchronize it without any issues. Since Windows Media Player 11 beta released so I downloaded it and installed it on my computer. But after when I tried to connect the Creative Zen Xtra, then Windows re-detected it again and then first it showed me "Creative Jukebox Zen Xtra" and then "MTP Device" in the next message. After that it gave me error message that there was a problem installing my new hardware and that it may not work properly. When I went into Device Manager then the Zen Xtra was showing as a MTP device but with an exclamation mark and status of "This device cannot start (Code 10)." So can anyone tell me whether this is a bug with the new WMP 11 version or should I revert back to WMP 10 to get the device to work again.

I am having a similar kind of problem that you have described and its exactly the same. Have you found any fixes to get the Creative Zen to work again with Windows Media Player 11? This mp3 player that I am having seems to be of no use for me. So if you get some solutions for this problem then please share it here.

re: Creative Zen Xtra Stops Working After Windows Media Player 11 Installed

Yes, Windows Media Player 11 Has Bugs !!!
    The best solution is to revert back to Windows Media Player 10.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ionofthePlayer

Rolling back to a previous version of the Player
    Windows Media Player is a feature of the Windows operating system and cannot be removed entirely. However, in Windows XP, you can roll back to the version of the Player that was previously on your computer.

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to perform the following procedure.

1 Disconnect any portable music or video devices that might be attached to your computer.
    2.Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    3.In the Category View of Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Remove a program.
    4.Click Windows Media Player 11, and then click Remove.

Note: If you remove Windows Media Player 11 and the Windows Media Format 11 Runtime, and then encounter error C00D271D ("A problem has occurred in the Digital Rights Management component. Contact Microsoft product support."), you might be able to resolve the problem by installing the Windows Media Format 9.5 Runtime. For information about installing the Runtime, in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, see article 891122, "Update for Windows Media Digital Rights Management-enabled players."
    You might not be able to roll back to a previous version of the Player if the hidden folder $NtUninstallwmp11$ is deleted from your computer. Some non-Microsoft programs (such as CCleaner) delete this folder in an attempt to remove unwanted files from your computer.

re: Creative Zen Xtra Stops Working After Windows Media Player 11 Installed

Below is additional information regarding to Windows Media Player Issues with Creative Zen Portable Devices.

Issues updating firmware on Creative ZEN portable devices after installing Windows Media Player 11
    If you have a Creative ZEN device, make sure the device has the latest firmware before you install Windows Media Player 11. To download the latest firmware, go to Creative Worldwide.

If you try to upgrade the firmware on your Creative ZEN after you install Windows Media Player 11, the Creative firmware upgrade software might not recognize your device.

In this case, remove Windows Media Player 11, update the Creative firmware, and then reinstall Windows Media Player 11. Creative plans to address this issue in future firmware updates.

For information about removing Windows Media Player 11, see Rolling back to a previous version of the Player.
    Issues with devices after removing Windows Media Player
    In some cases, you might encounter problems with portable devices if you install Windows Media Player 11 and then roll back to a previous version of the Player by removing Windows Media Player 11 and the Windows Media Format 11 Runtime.

If you roll back to a previous version of the Player and your device is no longer detected by Windows or Windows Media Player, perform the following procedure.

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to perform the following procedure.

1.Turn on your device and connect it to your computer.
    2.On the taskbar, click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
    3.In the pane on the left, click Device Manager.
    4.In the pane on the right, expand Portable Devices.
    5.Right-click the name of the device that is not working properly, and then click Uninstall.
    6.In the confirmation dialog, click OK to uninstall the device.
    7.Disconnect your device from your computer, make sure it is still turned on, and then connect it to your computer again.

Windows will detect your device and automatically re-install it. Within a minute or two, the device name will reappear in the Portable Devices section of Device Manager.

In addition, if your device is connected to your computer when you remove the Windows Media Format 11 Runtime, your computer might become unresponsive. If this occurs, disconnect your device from your computer, and then restart your computer. Then perform steps 1 through 7 in this topic.

Device not recognized after installing Windows Media Player 11
    Some devices that support the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) might not be recognized in Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP.

If you encounter this issue, perform the following procedure.

1.Uninstall the device in Device Manager by performing the steps in Issues with devices after removing Windows Media Player.
    2.Disconnect the portable device from your computer.
    3.Reconnect the device to your computer.
    4.Start Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP and verify that your device is recognized and displays in the Player.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ortabledevices