Thread: How to merge clips using Windows 7 Movie Maker

How to merge clips using Windows 7 Movie Maker

I have seen that in Windows Movie maker, you can merge the clip by dragging one clip onto another. But when I do this, the timeline has gone. I am not able to find any alternative way to do that so far. I have gone through several video tutorials on YouTube but there I could not get any tutorials of merging clips. Do you think that the new Movie Maker is missing this feature?

Re: How to merge clips using Windows 7 Movie Maker

Format Factory can also attach files through Advanced -> Video concentration
    Windows Movie Maker also works well, you have put your second file after the first or you can go through (I'm on XP) Clip -> Add to Timeline.

As far as I know, in windows movie maker you can only combine the contiguous clips. Do you know what the meaning of “Contiguous” is? It means the start time of the second clip should follow the first clip end time. You can name the clip in the order like Clip 1, Clip 2, and Clip 3 and then you can combine them but you cannot combine line Clip 1 to Clip 3. To combine you can use the storyboard/ timeline or in the Contents pane.

For Windows 7 there are several program out there which are able to do things like joining videos, there are many application for same. Among the programs to join videos, you can find something like Free FLV MP4 AVI MPEG WMV Video Joiner and related software.

Why do you only want the Windows movie maker since there are lots of other programs available out there? For example:
    • Free FLV MP4 AVI MPEG WMV Video Joiner
    • Windows Movie Maker
    • Video Edit Magic
    • VirtualDubMod
    • Boilsoft Video Joiner
    • ABC 3GP Converter
    • MKVToolnix
    • HT Video Splitter & Joiner
    • Xilisoft Movie Maker
    • VobSub

I assume that you are talking about overlaying clips here. However you can do it in Windows movie maker easily. To do this first place both clips on the same timeline. After that you need to drag the right one to left. Now it will turn into blue bar and then you can merge them together for how long you drag it.

I state that I don’t use Movie Maker but the operation should be equal to any other video editor. A video editor is not about to join 2 movies but it processes them, then you should import the files and then save them in a single file. The files are not united but merely rearranged. This could result in loss of quality and a lot of time for processing.

As far as I know, the Windows Live Movie Maker is a very simply video editor with basic editing tools. But the problem is that it does not come with online help manual. You can only get the help from localized help menu or a support forum but there is no guarantee that you will get good help.

Great information is there regarding joining movie parts and i think this is a problem which we are facing regularly.