Thread: VLC cannot play .mkv files after updating Mac OS X

VLC cannot play .mkv files after updating Mac OS X

From the past several weeks the software VLC that is installed on my Mac operating system won't play mkv files. If I am going to open a .mkv files, it will load forever. I have updated the mac os x but I don’t think that it has something to do with VLC. I have tried all the preferences and everything. Nothing makes it work again with .mkv files. Can anyone find me a solution?

Re: VLC cannot play .mkv files after updating Mac OS X

It seems to me that you're missing matroska codec pack. In order to play mkv files, your VLC should have this codec pack installed in it. It is a very good codec, with almost the best resolutions of xdivx or divx and you will be also able to play different video file formats as well. Download it for free by searching it on the internet.

Re: VLC cannot play .mkv files after updating Mac OS X

I think that your VLC version is not updated (because of a Universal Binary and so) and that is why it is unable to play that file format video. If it is not with a newer version, then you could also try MPlayer. It also supports the Matroska container / files. If that does not help then you can use another tool called VisualHub (or possibly even MPEG Streamclip) to play the video files in your mac operating system (Ideally, MP4).