Thread: Windows Media Player 11 encountered a problem while playing the file

Windows Media Player 11 encountered a problem while playing the file

I had installed some video converting applications but after installing them Windows Media Player 11 installed in my system started coming up with an error message saying

"You've encountered error message 80040241 while using Windows Media Player.Additional information is not currently available for this error. "

I get that error when i try to play any AVI files, currently i have performed system restore to get rid of all current Installation but Media Player is coming up with same error message again and again. What can i do to get it working again???

I will suggest you to download and install Windows Media Diagnostic Tool (WMDiag). I will help you in trouble shooting the above error, best of luck.

Re: Windows Media Player 11 encountered a problem while playing the file

This error appeared when Windows Media Player finds a invalid file format. You have to check that which audio or video files you are trying to run in Windows Media Player it supports or not. The codec must be proper. There is a codec pack for Windows Media player. Download it and then try to run back. Check that the file is not corrupted. You can try VLC to find the content of avi file.

Avi files are commonly played by Windows Media Player. The issue lies with corrupt files or improper codec. Because of which I normally use Windows Media Player Classic with Klite Codec pack. It is a fine player which supports a number of format. Or else you can simply convert the video files to any reading mp4 files format and then check back.

Click on the below link. You can find some sample files which can offer you to test what media format Windows Media player can run. Check the same by clicking on samples provided on the site. Also there are some troubleshooting stuff you can try out to for fixing the video error. Change the file simply to find out that the issue lies with video or with the media player.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...92&product=w98