Thread: Windows Media Player 11 shuts down

Windows Media Player 11 shuts down

If I am trying to open Windows Media Player 11 then after some time the program shuts down automatically. I thought that it was some kind of a problem with a music file but after ruling that out I opened Windows Media Player and still after some time it closed itself again. Does anyone know about this problem? Thanks

Coud you tell us how does it shuts down exactly? Do you get any kind of error when it crashes or it just closes or disappears itself? I think that it could be like an exception and therefore you will need to try to uninstall the Windows Media Player in your computer then try to reinstall it again by going in Add and Remove programs.

This problem occurs because the Windows Media Player 10 installation replaces files that are part of the beta Windows Media Format 11 runtime installation. Therefore, the Windows Media Format 11 runtime installation does not enable Windows Media Player 10 to play files that are protected by Windows Media DRM. For more information visit this website - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926239

You can try to perform a Clean Boot in your computer and see if that helps you out. If your computer is not starting normally, or if you receive errors when you start your computer that you cannot identify, you could consider performing a "clean boot." This operation starts the computer by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This can help you troubleshoot the problem. Follow the steps given here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

You can try to clear the Windows Media Player database by following the below steps:
    1. Exit Windows Media Player.
    2. Click Start, click Run, type %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player, and then click OK.
    3. elect all the files in the folder, and then click Delete on the File menu.
    4. You do not have to delete the folders that are in this folder.
    5. Restart Windows Media Player.
    6. Windows Media Player automatically rebuilds the database.