Thread: Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play

Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play

I was having an old external hard drive which I was using with my computer and had music on it and uploaded the same to the Windows Media Player 11 library. Some time back my external drive crashed and I had to get a new hard drive and wanted to transfer the music in the new one. I was wondering how to get the new library of music from the external drive to WMP 11 since if I try to go into WMP 11 and try to play the songs then I get an error message that says "Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted." I think that this is happening due to its pointing to the old hard drive. Also I am able to play songs from the external drive in Napster usually on the internet and via other sources but am unable to play it in Windows Media Player 11 version. So is there any fix for this issue? Thanks for any information.

Re: Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play

I think that you can try to check the path of the music files by enabling the File Path-Column in Windows Media Player Library, for doing same you have to go to Songs and then right click on a column and then click Choose Columns and then put a check mark next to File Path and finally click Ok. And because the files on the new hard drive might be in a different folder than they were on the old drive, therefore you can try to move them so the file locations match with the old ones and WMP will find them again.

Re: Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to pl

You can press the F3 button to bring up the Monitor Folders dialogue and then click on Advanced, after that add the new drive, whether its letter or folder and Windows Media Player will be able to update all the tracks that it was previously knowing about with its new location and all. Hope this will help you out.