Thread: Can't use WMP without getting MS ActiveSync error messages

Can't use WMP without getting MS ActiveSync error messages

This is my home desktop computer running with Windows XP Home edition (SP2) with Windows Media Player 11. Since last few days whenever I launch media player I get a pop window named Microsoft Activesync 4.5 with a message saying:

“The feature you are trying to use is on a CD ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the Microsoft ActiveSync Disk and click OK. “

There use to be browse button to locate the source or setup for the same. As I don’t have anything related to this window or message, I simply clicked OK button. Now it say:

“The file is not a valid installation package for the product Microsoft ActiveSync. Try to find the installation package setup.msi in a folder from which you can install Microsoft ActiveSync. “

Now, when I click Cancel on this message, a new window appears saying “Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5.” And after few minutes it ends up saying “No valid source could be found for product Microsoft ActiveSync. The Windows Installer cannot continue.”

Doesn’t it sounds very irritating? I mean I don’t know what is it, from where it came, but it is wasting my time on every launch of WMP. Can anyone please suggest me what I should do? It will be really appreciated.

Re: Can't use WMP without getting MS ActiveSync error messages

Hi, ActiveSync is Microsoft’s own product that usually gets installed automatically and is used for syncing any portable devices like smartphones or PDAs. But as you saying it appears which WMP launch, have you connected any device and tried to sync music or any media recently? If yes, that have been remain incomplete and hence Activesync is trying to get installed every time.

Anyways, the only solution in think to stop this message is to finish its installation once for all. Just download Activesync from this Microsoft page and run the installation.

Yeah, I use to sync my PDA but I never used Activesync or Windows Media player for the same. I use Palm’s own software called “Palm HotSync” for syncing my PDA. But anyways, I’ll download and install Activesync too so that it wont appear again. Thank you very much for the help.

I also get this problem. I tried to read throught this article but couldn't figure it out.

I do use activesync 4.5 with my IPAC and it works just fine. no installation problems. When ever I try to go into Windows media player or Real Player I get the "Installing activesync 4.5, it then goes into a neverending loop until I cancel it with task manager. It will eventually say that it cannot find the setup(1).msi. SO I download it and put it on my desktop, browse to it and it still says it cannot be sound. This is so frustrating and microsoft appears to have no answers????

Quote Originally Posted by bhinchey View Post
    I also get this problem. I tried to read throught this article but couldn't figure it out.

I do use activesync 4.5 with my IPAC and it works just fine. no installation problems. When ever I try to go into Windows media player or Real Player I get the "Installing activesync 4.5, it then goes into a neverending loop until I cancel it with task manager. It will eventually say that it cannot find the setup(1).msi. SO I download it and put it on my desktop, browse to it and it still says it cannot be sound. This is so frustrating and microsoft appears to have no answers????
    If you have any previous partnership with a XP PC on your device? If yes, delete that partnership and reboot the device. Then connect again to see if that resolves the problem. Open Activesync on your device and click Menu > Options. Select your PC and click the Delete button. Remember to reboot your device.