Thread: asx files won't open

asx files won't open

Hi,

I’m running windows Media Player 11 on Vista Business laptop. Entire system is working fine just except Windows Media Player. There are few websites where I use to stream videos in ASX format. Still I do that on my desktop but when I try the same on this laptop I get an error message saying:

“The file you are downloading cannot be opened by the default program. It is either corrupted or has an incorrect file type...”

Apart from this the type it shows is "Windows Media Audio/Video playlist" whereas the default program I‘ve set is Windows Media Player. Any idea what is the problem and how can I fix this error message?

Re: asx files won't open - more info

Very strange problem. OK, can you just download and save those files (asx) on your hard drive and try playing it in Windows Media Player? See what happens. Is it playing fine or giving the same error message?

Re: asx files won't open - problem solved

Thanks for the reply Hayworth. Yes WMP was able to play the files from local hard drive without any problem. Anyways, now what I did is I went to control Panel > default programs > Set program access and computer defaults. Here I selected WMP again and made it default. Surprisingly it is now streaming those files fine.

Any idea what was the problem?

Re: asx files won't open

Probably after installing any other applications, the default applications get changed, not for all, but for few/some file extensions.

That would have happened in your case as well.