Thread: Aspect Ratio in Windows Media Player

Aspect Ratio in Windows Media Player

There is a .mpg video file that I have which was recorded with aspect ratio of 16:9. I am able to play it on my computer without any problems which is running on Windows XP and Windows Media Player 9. I have also bought a new pc with Windows Vista and WMP 11 on it, and if I try to play the same file on this new machine then the player will not recognize the aspect ratio, when I go into Properties then it is showing aspect ratio as unknown and plays the video file in 4:3 aspect ratio. Can anyone tell me how can I solve this issue?

Re: Aspect Ratio in Windows Media Player

Well, one cannot really say anything without really having access to the clip and analyze its properties, incase if it is not online? But you could check out some tools that can analyze MPEG and then check the file properties such as the aspect ratio and all.

Re: Aspect Ratio in Windows Media Player

The file that I have is not online but a video recorded personally from me. I am ensure that the aspect ratio is 16:9 because I have recorded it with my own camcorder that I have. Like I said before, I am able to play it back on the computer that has Windows Media Player 9 with the proper aspect ratio but in Vista it is not working. Is there any way to install Windows Media Player 9 in Vista?

I would recommend you to install VLC media player on your computer which has the option to adjust the aspect ratio of any video as well. The application also supports configuration as server unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 networks. Its role after treatment optimizes file playback for an optimal picture and sound. In addition, it integrates a video file converter, audio, video and audio filters in real-time video streaming function, a wide range of settings that improves the rendering of the image and sound.