Thread: WMP11 Black screen when playing video files...

WMP11 Black screen when playing video files...

My brother is using Windows Vista 32bit OS with Windows Media Player 11. There is no problem playing audio/music but whenever we try running any video (especially in WMV or DIVX format) the output comes is only audio and no picture . The screen remains black.

Many said that this is the codec problem. I downloaded and installed K-Lite codec, even uninstalled and re-installed DIVX but still getting the same problem. Any help please?

WMP crashes

I have struggled with exactly the same problem for weeks but never get it done. Tried many codec, many settings and tweaks but nothing worked. Finally I quit using Windows Media player 11, and switched to VLC player. It is very much better than WMP. Never had any problem with any video format.

So you can try out the same. Even Windows Media Player classic is very good.

Re: WMP11 Black screen when playing video files...

I was having the same problem recently black screen on all media players only hearing audio. Just solved it for windows media player but not the others. Apparently it's an overlay issue, meaning the problem is coming from the video card.

Solution for windows media player:
    1. In Windows Media Player, on the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Performance tab.
    2. Click the Advanced button.
    3. In the Video Acceleration area, clear the Use overlays check box.

If the problem continues, try turning off the video mixing renderer (VMR) by clearing the Use video mixing renderer check box, located just above the Use overlays check box.

Got this from: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...vice/0064.mspx

Hope this helps, I literally register to answer this problem.