Thread: Library not finding all songs

Library not finding all songs

I have got more than 5000 songs on my computer but Windows Media Player is finding only not more than 2000 music files. I have already tried to delete the database file as given on the Microsoft's website but it will still find only the same file in same number. This collection of music was on a different pc and WMP was not having any problems recognizing those all. Can anyone tell me what could be the issue here?

Have you tried to rebuild a broken Media Library? In WMP11 on XP, the library is per user and can be found at "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb". In some extreme cases (such as when you can not add any folders to be scanned in the supplied dialog) you would need to shut down WMP and stop the "Window Media Player Network Sharing Service". Then you would need to rename the folder "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player". At that point WMP should work correctly again.

Follow the below method to fix the issue that you are facing:

1. First of all click Start, Click All Programs, Click Accessories. After that right click onCommand Prompt and select 'Run as administrator'.
    2. Now you have to type Attrib /? to get familiar with the attributes command.
    3. After that, My music is stored in the path c:\users\glym\music. So I fixed the problem with the following command string:attrib -r -s c:\users\glym\music\*.* /s /d
    4. After that once the file attributes are cleaned up, make sure Media Player is closed. Click Start, Click Run, Copy and paste this: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft, and then Click OK
    5. Now you need to delete the 'Media Player' folder completely. That gets rid of the database and the cached entries.
    6. Lastly, just restart Media Player and it will start to recognize all the music again.