Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet in india

At 12.00 AM I get 10 kbps easily & the max recorded by flashget was 19 kbps sometime at 3.00 clock on a dial up.(mostly online at these times).
    The speed drastically increased when I switched over to my new USB Modem (HP e-modem) because my 56 kbps modem died.

That means i get more speed by switching to a lower capacity modem(new one is just 33kbps).

BTW I live i Goa! & use Sancharnet

Originally posted by QuickFire@Jan 22 2004, 08:35 PM
    I got Dsl(Dishnet). The download speed is 40-50kb/ps so that is pretty ok for here.
    You're one of those blessed souls..
    Hehe :laugh: for u guys it's fast, for me 40-50kb/ps is still not that good. However, sicne i live in India, i need to be pretty happy with what i get over here compare to u guys.

prashantrana Guest
    i have seen the same. i had once used my friends external 33 kbps modem and its speed was good. when i got my internal 56kbps back i used both the modems and the result was amazing.
    i am also dependent on sancharnet.

Originally posted by darshan@Jan 23 2004, 12:29 AM
    At 12.00 AM I get 10 kbps easily & the max recorded by flashget was 19 kbps sometime at 3.00 clock on a dial up.(mostly online at these times).
    The speed drastically increased when I switched over to my new USB Modem (HP e-modem) because my 56 kbps modem died.

That means i get more speed by switching to a lower capacity modem(new one is just 33kbps).

BTW I live i Goa! & use Sancharnet
    19kbps??10kbps???...i assume u mean kilobits per second not kilobytes????cause the maximum a 56.6kbps modem can transfer at is 56.6x1000=56600 bits = 7075 bytes = 6.909kilobytes per second.....the max i can get is 6 -6.5 kBps...

p}{oToN Guest
    the saddest part of it is that even dialup costs more than broadband in other countries. ive got bsnl's dsl called dias or sumething like that. its pretty good. i get around 13-14kbps download during day and may go upto 16kbps in the night. only limitation is 500mb bandwidth for 850bux a month. but still its a gud deal compared to others in india

Originally posted by p}{oToN@Jan 23 2004, 08:38 AM
    the saddest part of it is that even dialup costs more than broadband in other countries. ive got bsnl's dsl called dias or sumething like that. its pretty good. i get around 13-14kbps download during day and may go upto 16kbps in the night. only limitation is 500mb bandwidth for 850bux a month. but still its a gud deal compared to others in india
    Ouch, 500mb download limit is not that much.
    I pay rs950 a month and get 2 GB download limit a month.
    However, i have 40-50kb/ps so with that speed u reach the limit easily.

mavilla Guest
    I was using Reliance Net,pretty fast but i was shocked to see a bill of 23,000/- after 5 months...
    this is not correct according to me.
    Currently i am on shitty Dial Up

Originally posted by darklord@Jan 24 2004, 02:33 AM
    I was using Reliance Net,pretty fast but i was shocked to see a bill of 23,000/- after 5 months...
    Currently i am on shitty Dial Up
    Holy S^it.
    rs 23,000 after 5 months?
    Must have been a big shock yes.
    What speed did u get for it?

What u mean this is not correct?
    That the price is so expensive,
    or that they made a mistake with that bill?

Guys India has enormous amount of Bandwidth, the problem is that its ver expensive.

The reason you get low download speeds is bcoz your provider buys a 1 Mb line from vsnl or some other isp and shares that 1 mb line among 100 users.

Although the bandwidth prices have been drastically reduced they are still expensive compared to other countries. Till our goverment does something about lowering the prices we will get crappy connections.

PS - Neophyte are u sumosan from Kawa???

taylor Guest
    may be for the same reason why a 80GB HDD does not contain 80GB of free space, or why a PC3200 DDR400 does not provide 3.2GBps bandwidth, or why a 17" monitor does not measure 17 inches, or why a 52X CD-ROM never runs at that speed all the time...

Originally posted by darshan@Jan 24 2004, 11:59 PM
    If a 56 kbps modem cannot deliver 56 kbps then why the hell it is called a 56 kbps modem?

Appolyon can u clarify this?
    In theory it in fact is capable of delivering the stunning speed of 56 kbps.

Signal Strength Cap - Due to a speed limit set by the Federal Communications Commission, you will be unable to get 56K throughput with a 56K modem. The FCC limits the amount of power that phone company's can use to send signals over the network. This cap on signal strength limits data throughput to a maximum of 53Kbps regardless of what your modem can actually deliver.

tankado Guest
    There is a diff. between 56Kbps and 56KBps.
    And its not a 52X ROM it is a 52X MAX ROM. which means the the max speed is achived only at the outermost circumpheri due to obvious reasons of max rotational speed, now unless they use dual laser to write on the cd, or some other new tech this speed aint gonna increase as it has saturated.
    DVDRW prices falling sharply and the production of BLU ray CDRW is something to loookk forward to. How nice would it be to store 27GB of data on the normal Rs. 10/- CDR. The diode alone costs 50,000 at present.

THere is a diffrence between kilobits and kilobytes.

56k Modem mean you will get 56k kilobits = 5.6 kilobytes

But ofcourse the actual speeds you get also depends on the line speed and noise.

56 Kilobits = 56 / 8 = 7 KiloBytes ( Theoritical )
    Subtract some 0.5 kB from that due to TCP overhead and you will get the maximum practical throughput that can be achieved.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast