Thread: Which one among TATA Photon, MTS and Idea offers a good wireless internet

Which one among TATA Photon, MTS and Idea offers a good wireless internet

I want to buy a usb modem with 3G support. I have this three telecom providers under my choice. The first one is TATA Photon, the second is MTS and Idea. My friends are using Photon. It works fine while MTS I think would be under budget. And I had seen some new offers in iDEA. I want to buy the card because I will travel in different locations. So I need a advice on good usb modem which can give be proper coverage in Maharashtra, Goa and Chennai.

Re: Which one among TATA Photon, MTS and Idea offers a good wireless internet

I am having TATA Photon. I am not happy with that. It works great in Mumbai, but outside the connectivity is extremely poor. I think you must try MTS. But before going for any modem plan just confirm on the customer care about the coverage. Different telecom providers have different coverage circles.

I had bought iDEA long before. I had recharged it with an unlimited pack. But the speed is extremely slow. It is not really working well. I thought iDEA would have better coverage compare to others. But it is worst here. It is just enough for surfing. But when you do jobs like email, or upload, or watching videos on YouTube then it is just useless. It takes long time to open and display complete pages. I had launched a complain with the customer service a number of time. They do not really respond from their end. I will not recommend you to buy iDEA. I a not sure about Photon and MTS. But a few of my friends are using MTS. I think it is the only usb modem available in the market which comes with cheapest unlimited plan. The plan cost around Rs.799. The usage upto 10GB offers a speed of 3.1mbps and above that is reduced to 64kbps. You must try MTS once. I am also going to replace iDEA soon. I am just waiting for the recharge pack. Once it is over completely then I will switch to MTS.

I am using Reliance. It is great. It is costly but like others it does not gives you poor surfing speed. I am using this from almost 4 months now. My basic work here is web surfing, mail check, and videos. The speed is better in the coverage area. It also works fine outside Maharashtra.

None of those wireless internet is good enough. All of them are having flaws. I had switched almost 3 connections here and yet not able to get what I am looking for. The worst is idea here. TATA Photon atleast works. But it is right that all of them works fine if they lies under the coverage. If you are using the usb modem at some remote then you will simply face the connectivity problem. Compare to that I think mobile internet is more better. 3G is good but somehow it is costly. Compare to 2G connection if you get a reasonable 3G pack it works fine. It has a more better speed over the existing 2G connection. It is costly but good. And in that if you go for unlimited pack then it is more costlier. If you are going outside your region then better carry a 3G sim. You can use it when needed. I use it only when I travel. Instead of going for unlimited I use a data pack of 2 or 4GB that does my work. And you can recharge it anytime you want.

There is always risk of using a limited data pack. Because it can expire anytime. While unlimited here is more appropriate. It might take time but in future we will surely get more cheaper 3G plans in India. I am having a postpaid connection here, which offers me a reasonable 3G speed.

Postpaid are costly. There are UN-necessary charges on them. While in prepaid atleast you have a choice to avoid extra expenses. I also think MTS is good here. But you must also checkout for some plans under Vodafone. My entire circle user Vodafone internet. That works really well. It is not great for download but reasonable enough to use facebook and whatsapp type of applications. I am having a 3G connection here. Which I use on my mobile phone as well as on a usb modem. Compare to mobile, the speed is more better on PC via usb modem. You can stream a single video at a time. The speed lies between 40 to 50kbps depending on the coverage.