Thread: Need help to understand USB internet in India

Need help to understand USB internet in India

Hello there,

I am new to mobile internet since all my life I have only used a desktop with a fixed line connection. I am now purchasing a laptop and in addition to a fixed line connection which will probably be my primary connection, I would also like to have a mobile internet connection for when I travel.

I will be based mostly in Calcutta.

There are many providers offering several plans with quite complicated tariff structures which are making me run in circles. But more than that I am at a loss to understand all the technology that is now available. I am seeing words like EVDO, 2 G, 3 G, GPRS etc and I don't really understand what they are or what is good.

I am also unable to find any one link on the internet that gives comprehensive information on what all these terms mean. Essentially I am at a loss to properly understand what is going on.

Can someone please initiate me on this? I will be very grateful if someone can refer me to some links where I can read about the current status of mobile internet in India and understand it so that I might be able to make an informed decision on what technology/provider/plan I should go far.

If not, if someone can offer me some useful pointers, I will much appreciate.

Thanks.

Re: Need help to understand USB internet in India

EVDO stands for Evolution Data Optimized and it is a 3G mobile broadband technology, currently the EVDO modems are available from Sprint and Verizon.
    2G and 3G are wireless network technology which are mostly used for mobile connectivity, 3G gives you better browsing and downloading speed as compared to that of 2G .
    GPRS(General Packet Radio Service) and WAP(Wireless Application Protocol) are packet oriented mobile data service on the 2G and 3G cellular communication system for mobile. with wap connection you are not allowed to do wifi tethering and use the phone as modem but then you can do the same with GPRS.
    I have checked out for the best mobile internet service provider in Calcutta and i have found Airtel to be the best.

hello frndz.
    i wannetd to know more abt usb internet connections like idea netsetter etc.....how do they work...nd wat speeds do they offer....nd what is a internet doggle...i also see a couple of devices like micromax doggles etc...what is their use,how do they work....nd do i need to put in a sim in them

Quote Originally Posted by SUCHIROCKS View Post
    hello frndz.
    i wannetd to know more abt usb internet connections like idea netsetter etc.....how do they work...nd wat speeds do they offer....nd what is a internet doggle...i also see a couple of devices like micromax doggles etc...what is their use,how do they work....nd do i need to put in a sim in them
    If you are having a micromax dongle then you just have to get a sim card that is having gprs activated and then you can use the modem for accessing the web by connecting it to the computer, as far as the speed is concerned you wont get that much speed but then you will get better than browsing from the mobile.