Thread: VOIP's might get released from dot

VOIP's might get released from dot

The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) is considering opening segment of Internet telephony calls and allows unrestricted consumers using their Internet connections. However, a representative of the Internet industry, said that the devil may be in the details. "The point may impose conditions that can range from an entry fee or net worth of the company, which will keep the smaller ISPs to enter this segment. We have to see the fine print of the policy each time you finished," said one industry executive ISP.

Re: VOIP's might get released from dot

Existing telecommunications companies will not allow this to happen, or at least everything possible to resist. The biggest obstacle would be the termination charges. Termination rates are the fees that a telecommunications operator charges another for terminating calls on their network. For a call within India, charge termination is Rs 0.20 per minute. Since new participants want this charge is further reduced, but the great are resisting strongly. It is a source of revenue for them. The logic is simple, the largest of its subscriber base, the more calls that are likely on their network and therefore more revenue from termination charges.

Who decides what should be the completion rate of a call originating from a telecommunications system to a VoIP provider? Large telecommunications companies argue that VoIP providers should not receive normal termination charge of their maintenance costs of the network is much smaller. VoIP providers in turn, dispute that if they pay R 0.20 per call that may not be able to offer no matter which is superior to the rates of existing Telco. You will need a major strategy change and the government already reeling under the scams of telecommunications for many, not to change guidelines; it was not until the clouds hanging upside scams are dispersed.

This will save much effort, and even better if you are under the license can get a nice big block of E.164 phone numbers of code well-matched with Indian country. That would solve many troubles and permit ISPs to offer good triple-play services and could offer something related to what they have in France, for example, with the Freebox and Neufbox that handles all Internet / Voice / TV in one device.

I think the resistance phase is over. Its 2011, the Government cannot stop this further, otherwise b too late. I think it was a long time (years) really since the proposal first came. About the UCC system, I think it is under review by the TRAI. There is little chance of improvement (what they are proposing airtel etc) and instead, will only fall further, or who knows, might even be abolished. VoIP on the other hand can be a savior for the industry to die fixed line at home and can increase government falling revenues in the business of LL. I hope that BB also helps the industry.

I hope that probably would not have a new set of "non-geographic" numbers issued by the point, as they have in France (08x xxxx xxxx) and Japan (050 xxxx xxxx). We do not have in New Zealand - which can end any number we like a VoIP system - I have a toll free number, a geographic number and more than a few cell phone numbers all being routed through VOIP. We also have occupied number portability, so that I could have my landline number or mobile number and the port for the VOIP service.

It is of great benefit to me in New Zealand, in part because mobile calls cost an arm and a leg (44 cents per minute is cheaper, which is equivalent to Rs17), but now I live between two or more countries, but also means that I can be on any mobile network in the world with a data plan and still make / receive calls to / from New Zealand - and if / when done right legal VOIP in India when I travel outside the India will I be able to do the same to me the number of Indians, which will make my life much easier as they also do not have to worry about roaming.