Thread: What is the importance of SNR and Attenuation rate.

What is the importance of SNR and Attenuation rate.

The internet connection that I am using is Hathaway cable modem, the speed of the internet connection is about 512 kbps, and the operating system is Windows XP. The problem here is that whenever during evening s I always a slow internet problem ,the time the browser takes to load a page is also too high and in the task manager the graph show the signals which is always fluctuating at a high variable. Also when the modem is disable and enable back the speed is the same. Where the problem does occurs? Is it in the network or in my computer? Please let me know urgently.

Re: What is the importance of SNR and Attenuation rate.

SNR is defined as signal to noise ratio, it is used to determine the strength of the connection. If you have more joints then it reduces your SNR. The ranges for bad to good values are as follows: 0-20 =bad; 20-30=good; 30-40excellent; 40-50=ideal. Attenuation is the distance from the computer till the point to exchange. It is better that you are closer to the point of exchange. Various plan shows various SNR. If it is 30db then it is ideal, but according to my judgment your db level is 40db.

My plan is “ul750+”, the amount of speed for downloading is about 30Kb, but for torrents it is about 27kbps. MY SNR is about 10db. I was told that my SNR is the main problem SO there is any way to overcome this problem of SNR, how should I increase it. Tried removing the telephone line and connecting it again but no help in it. The downloading speed seems to be fine because the speed is about 256kbps, so the downloading speed is about 30 kbps. Do the length of the wire also a cause of reducing the SNR.

Change the Router or the modem that is currently present; try using a different line or try changing the whole line only. Try using RJ11 telephone cables. Check the ADSL2+ and then check the SNR and Attenuation. Then again select only GDMT/T413/Glite and again check SNR and Attenuation. This will increase the SNR till 3DB and also in attenuation. The main thing is you cannot check the line strength at one particular time because when you check in with different modems it will shoe you different values.

From many days I was also facing this problem because my speed is very low as expected, my SNR margin is also very low is That a problem for slow speed, I checked the Attenuation and it was very high, this is because of the splitter because the telephone is near to the telephone instrument and is any dust present on the telephone lines that can cause the problem , try changing the telephone line or to clean it that should increase the SNR , the line that is present can also shorten the wire which is causing the problem.