Thread: Basic info for EVDO broadband

Basic info for EVDO broadband

I am using a Windows XP Service Pack II machine which runs on AMD Phenom processor. I use my machine to play games and surf internet. Currently I am using BSNL broadband - Home 500C connection as I have a BSNL landline connection. But I am looking forward to switch to EVDO connection for my HP laptop. SO can anyone provide me basic information on EVDO connection like the speed provided , rental, tariff, mode, etc.

Re: Basic info for EVDO broadband

EVDO is an acronym for Evolution Data Only/Evolution Data Optimized. It works on the 3G 3G mobile broadband technology. It can provide an average download speed of 600-1400kbps. Though BSNL has taken the initiative to provide this service in India. But yet the speed is not up to the mark. Also the downtime is very frequent. So I would say that it is yet in the beta stage.

The EVDO connection is provided by a data card or by a USB modem which is around a cost of Rs. 3,500. BSNL has applied a rental of Rs550 per month for this EVDO connection. The speed is expected to boost at upto 2.4Mbps. This connection is usually useful for personal for business purposes. Also the modem can be purchased to avoid the rental of the modem.

Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd had introduced the 3G mobile internet service - EVDO in India. They have also provided 3.1 Mbps speed for unlimited download at a cost of 750 Rs. So if you require a really fast speed wireless internet connection then the EVDO might just provide you the needed performance. This internet connection is way faster then Tata Indicom wireless connection as well as Airtel wireless connection.

Here a few plans which are for EVDO users:
    • 199 per month with free usage of 0.5 GB
    • 299 per month with free usage of 1 GB
    • 449 per month with free usage of 2 GB
    • 649 per month with free usage of 5 GB
    • 750 per month with unlimited usage

If you exceed the free usage then the charges are Rs 0.50 per MB. I am also looking forward to get the EVDO connection.