Thread: What is the difference between verizon ev and 1x

What is the difference between verizon ev and 1x

Hi,

What's the difference between verizon ev and 1x , and why does my phone sometimes switch between 1x and ev. I am a little confused about how EV and 1X work. Just from looking around, it seems like EV is for data and 1X is for voice. Is that true?

Re: What is the difference between verizon ev and 1x

I believe the speed that you can surf the internet on your phone (data usage). With EV-DO (Ev) being the faster one (broadband like). The EV is for data because when you have that the internet is super extremely fast and the 1x is for calls and messages . And when you only have EV on the phone and no 1x signal you cannot make calls you can only send messages and use the v-cast and use the internet. and when you only have a 1x signal and no EV signal you cannot use all those fun features you can only make voice calls and send messages, to send messages you only need to have 1x signal no ev.

Ev lets you know that you are in an area, if your phone is capable, where you can get Vcast. I would imagine it would allow for easier data downloads than 1x.1X is 1xRTT gives the wireless provider more calling capcity than IS-95A . This is for dowloading things like Get It Now and internet use. You can go up to 144Kbps little faster than Dial up 99% of VZW network is 1XRTT ready.

EV is EV-DO at this time it is for data only (wireless calls go back to 1XRTT). EvDO is the broadband speeds on all data: aircards, tethered, and PDA connections (internet explorer).This is for high speed internet and VCast. You can dowload sometimes at speeds over 1Mbps. EV-DO is right now in most metros and is hardly in any rural areas at this time.