Thread: Nokia: WiMax is intended to do the same fate of Betamax

Nokia: WiMax is intended to do the same fate of Betamax

Nokia has for some time decided to focus on technology LTE (Long Term Evolution) for its future, as it has been reported in a news story last November.

4G technologies LTE,the Finnish giant goes further, providing the dark clouds thicken on the future of WiMax. As reported by Unwired View, in an interview with the Financial Times, Anssi Vanjoki, Head of sales and manufacturing in Nokia, he came to compare the Betamax to WiMax, known standard in the world of video, despite good technical specifications was swept away by the massive spread of the main competing standard, VHS.

"I do not think the future is very promising [for WiMax]. This is a classic example of industry standards clashing, and somebody comes out as the winner and somebody has to lose. Betamax was there for a long time, but VHS dominated the market. I see exactly the same thing happening here."

What is certain is that for the time WiMax technology have not yet shown all they had promised and the interest for the LTE technology at Mobile World Congress has been more extensive.

Nokia believes that in 2015 the 4G technology more widespread in the world will be the Long Term Evolution, we will see if its predictions are true or if something happens to change this trend.

Re: Nokia: WiMax is intended to do the same fate of Betamax

I also know that for me as it is put WiMAX is now lower and mainly in front of LTE

Re: Nokia: WiMax is intended to do the same fate of Betamax

Well, I think the comparison does not stand up.

Betamax failed for other reasons known ....

Rather the Wimax would have the need for massive investments to emerge and for a period of crisis I have no doubt that companies want to invest billions of euros to rebuild the network.

You probably have missed the opportunity when the economy is already allocated, there will be a new technology that point.