Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Philips Divx player available,

Quote Originally Posted by blade_runner
    Its differ frm manufacturer to manufacturer whether or not to have the player as region-free. In ur case, owning region locked dvds which extend the geographical boundaries of the place it is sold in, cannot be considered to be "legitimate". Meaning u cannot and should not (according to law and manufacturers) use discs frm other regions here. But right now we donot have any law in place for handling this situation.
    gotta differ here. region-locked DVD's are for cross-region content trade prevention, not cross-region content ownership & usage prevention. if i legitimately procured a digital-content in a geographic region, then i am eligibile to keep owning it and using it in any geographic region, unless i trade it (or copy it), in the other geographic region. there's a huge article on this somewhere at the DMA2000 or IMA2000 site or someplace. read this and researched this in great detail some 4 years back... but then, me getting old, so memory does play tricks at times...
    My rig:
    Laptop (Compaq Pressario 1711T) : PIII - 1.1GHz, 128MB(PC133), 40GB HDD, DVD/CD combo, Radeon Mobile - running WinXP Home & Mandrake Linux 9.1

Quote Originally Posted by banzie2004
    gotta differ here. region-locked DVD's are for cross-region content trade prevention, not cross-region content ownership & usage prevention. if i legitimately procured a digital-content in a geographic region, then i am eligibile to keep owning it and using it in any geographic region, unless i trade it (or copy it), in the other geographic region. there's a huge article on this somewhere at the DMA2000 or IMA2000 site or someplace. read this and researched this in great detail some 4 years back... but then, me getting old, so memory does play tricks at times...
    Hmm.........Well if u ask me dvd region protection was always meant to protect content ownership and usage since the release of movies (especially hollywood movies) differs in every part of the world. Say for e.g. RE2; RE2 was released way back in Sept in the US while it's coming out next week in India. Region code was originally meant to discourage consumers and prirates frm purchasing these newly released movie dvds (Since dvds release quite quickly in the US after the theatrical release) and watch the movie in the theatre rather than in their homes. This would have caused massive financial damages to the studios if the dvds would have turned up before the movie wud have released in the theatres. So if u ask me i still think region protection is a tool for protection copyrights and distribution rights whether or not it works is a different argument altogether !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23