Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Philips Divx player available,

hellfire Guest
    Just discussing this player with bro other day (who was in US till last month). He tells me this thing had some problems playing the divx that played fine on his PC and he just returned it. Said the audio-video were out of sync.

cngn Guest

Digitrex Player

I bought myself a Digitrex player here and it's played every possible format I have even MOV files, though in it's manual it doesn't say anything bout support for it, and contrary to the phillips one the slowmo/ff works upto 16X in increments of 2x for all the formats

Check out the link I've inserted, plus I bought it for $90 AUD on Ebay Australia should be about 3,500 there....

EDIT: Plus it has a VGA Dsub which ensures I can attach it to my monitor anytime I need to

BIG Problem....
    a friend of mine is getting a home theatre system ....philips for 15K....5.1 + DVD Player
    i told him to go for the DVP 642...as nothin can beat this player....
    but the dealer says 21K for the home theatre system if u buy 5.1 + DVP 642
    bcoz it seems teh home theatre system needs a amplifier..and in 15 K the ampli has a DVD player as welll so 15K...

but with DVP 642 u hav to buy a set of ampli (seperate)so, ampli + 5.1 + DVP 642 = 21 K....

really cant understand if its true...help guys??

EDIT:or its better to buy a sleek 5.1 Altec lansing system and hook it up to the DVP 642....anyways he dosent hav a huge house...so not sure how good the home theatre will sound??
    Last edited by fundusanju; 08-11-2004 at 04:22 PM.

I think connecting Altec Lansing 5.1 251 wud be a better option than buying a home thtr from philips.

but if u do buy a home thtr from philips and u get a separate ampli, it has more advantages as u can connect the ampli to anything, music system, walkman, discman, pc . . . correct me if i am wrong, dear members . . .

even i am considering between the 2 options but 21 K is a little expensive.

DVP 642 (6K0) + AL 251 (6K) = 12 K for a home thtr

theres a new home theatre launched by philips LX3900SA...
    the player has a ampli integrated and supports DivX...so i assume as good as DVP 642
    and the speaker setup is 5.1 with 45 rms each speaker and 75 rms woofer....
    so overall a pretty good system......
    in US n UK the prices of LX3900 and LX3600 are same and LX3600 is available for 15K in India....
    will get prices of LX3900 by tomm....lets hope its 15K

the LX 3900 from Philips is costing 19.8K.......so not much of a diff between this system and a set of 5.1 speaker + ampli + DVP 642...

my friend is buying LX 3600 for 14.9K...thts 5.1 speakers (300 rms) + DVD player (ampli integrated)....

DVP 642k+ Altec lansing vs3151 ( 5.1 chanel peak power 90W , Continuous power 60W RMS ) ( 251 is being discontinued ) = 11.5k max ...no point in paying 19.8/21k for hometeatre....or even for that matter DVP642k + Altec lansing 5100 ( 73W RMS ) wud cost less than 15k....which wud be a decent buy.
    Cheers...
    -----------
    My Specs
    P4 3GHz, 512 DDR 400,
    Intel 865GVHZ, 80 GB SATA,
    BenQ 1620 - 16X DVD-Writer
    Lite-On DVD ROM
    17'' Samsung MagicBright,
    Altec Lansing ATP3.

Quote Originally Posted by fundusanju
    but a Philips 5.1 system 300 rms (home theatre system) sounds much better than a altec lansing 100 rms...
    worth the xtra bucks man....
    Not hundred percent sure of that. Most el cheapo HT setups suck really bad. Plus the electronics companies in India put output power figures as they please since there's no one to check. Most philips speakers I've heard sound really muddy. However an altec 251/vs3151/5100 doesn't have enough power to fill a large room.
    Athlon 64 3000+, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 1GB DDR400, BBA 9800 Pro, WD Raptor 36GB, 160 GB 'Cuda SATA, NEC ND-3500A, SB Audigy LS, Altec Lansing 251.
    Housed in a Wavemaster Silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos
    Not hundred percent sure of that. Most el cheapo HT setups suck really bad. Plus the electronics companies in India put output power figures as they please since there's no one to check. Most philips speakers I've heard sound really muddy. However an altec 251/vs3151/5100 doesn't have enough power to fill a large room.
    good point....
    but i checked out the Sony home theatre system...most basic one in Sonyworld (mulund) , it was for 22K and it was just mind blowing....the woofer was :

the philips one is comparable to it....not sure how much better than the altec lansing one...

i enquired abt a few high end logitech...Z680 (20K+)and Z5300
    or the altec lansing high end ones....
    all of them were above 15K or so

the system LX3900SA supports divX as well..but is available for 19.8K....
    so my friend is buying the LX3600....it dosent hav support for DivX..all other features r same.....its for 15k..
    almost 5K more for DivX not worth it....atleast for him

No point of going for a system that does not support DivX format. I went thru the Philips 3900 specs, looks cool 2.

Below are the links for samsung Home Theater models . . .

http://www.samsung.com/in/products/h...?page=Features

http://www.samsung.com/in/products/h...er/htds650.asp

The only diff betwn the 2 is the watts i think. both do not support SACD which philips 3900 does and both r more expensive than 3900.

whats is SACD?

which one do u think wud be a good deal?

I checked out sony ones, none support DivX support . . .

any other brands to look out for which wud be a better option than 3900, i bought a samsung plano 29" M16 last saturday hence thinking whether to buy a DVP 642+Altec Lansing 5.1 or buy a separate home theater . . . AL 251 does not have a remote control . . . need a remote definitely

Quote Originally Posted by shyamthakkar
    thinking whether to buy a DVP 642+Altec Lansing 5.1 or buy a separate home theater . . . AL 251 does not have a remote control . . . need a remote definitely
    if u buy the LX3900SA system....u r spending 13K for the 5.1 system....(as DVP 642 is available for 6K, although the player in LX3900SA has a inbhilt ampli as well,the functionality remains same...)

so search for speakers in the range of 13K....from logitech,altec lansing, creative....

creatives hav thier megaworks range and logitech Z-680 or Logitech Z5300 hav excellent specs...enquire for the cost
    ppl suggest 5.1 system in the range of 13K??

Sorry about digging up this thread.. but a bit of advice needed.

Is the Philips DVP 642 a worthy buy over competing DVD players like the Samsung 148/248/548 and the Sony DVP-NS575? Lets say DivX playback is NOT at all a priority, just the usual DVD playback. How does the Philips stack up against these models under those conditions?
    Any other models recommended?

Quote Originally Posted by blade_runner
    If its grey market then its probably region free ! If its not there are hacks for it available on the web.
    Not necessarily. Philips DVD 625K, is extremely famous for being region-free, and it's ability to play prettymuch any optical media (i mean scratched etc., not any digital video format).

Also "Region Free" is a requirement for very legitimate reasons in my case. I have 11 DVD's which are North America (region-1) locked (5 are hindi movies, 6 are english), purchased at full-rate (15-20$ each) in US. I have 3 Asia (region-3) locked movies. My laptop's DVD drive has a limit of being able to change region-locking-code 5 times (in firmware), and have toggled 3'ice already.

As such Mercury DVD drive (selling for 3300/- in Bigbazaar, B'lore) is also region-free (and it's progressive scan and 5.1, wow!!) -- made in China stuff!! But it's 6-month warranty scared me off.
    My rig:
    Laptop (Compaq Pressario 1711T) : PIII - 1.1GHz, 128MB(PC133), 40GB HDD, DVD/CD combo, Radeon Mobile - running WinXP Home & Mandrake Linux 9.1

Quote Originally Posted by banzie2004
    Not necessarily. Philips DVD 625K, is extremely famous for being region-free, and it's ability to play prettymuch any optical media (i mean scratched etc., not any digital video format).

Also "Region Free" is a requirement for very legitimate reasons in my case. I have 11 DVD's which are North America (region-1) locked (5 are hindi movies, 6 are english), purchased at full-rate (15-20$ each) in US. I have 3 Asia (region-3) locked movies. My laptop's DVD drive has a limit of being able to change region-locking-code 5 times (in firmware), and have toggled 3'ice already.

As such Mercury DVD drive (selling for 3300/- in Bigbazaar, B'lore) is also region-free (and it's progressive scan and 5.1, wow!!) -- made in China stuff!! But it's 6-month warranty scared me off.
    Its differ frm manufacturer to manufacturer whether or not to have the player as region-free. In ur case, owning region locked dvds which extend the geographical boundaries of the place it is sold in, cannot be considered to be "legitimate". Meaning u cannot and should not (according to law and manufacturers) use discs frm other regions here. But right now we donot have any law in place for handling this situation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast