Thread: 1TB hard drive fails to work on Gigabyte G41 series board

1TB hard drive fails to work on Gigabyte G41 series board

I bought a new 1TB Hard drive. I have around 10 pc at my office and all of them are running on Gigabyte G41 motherboard series. I took one so that I can use it for file storage. A kind of default file storage system where all data can be stored. But things are weird. When I connect the hard drive on the system it is not detected. It is not coming in bios also. The same board works well with 160GB hard drive. So here the port cannot be a issue. I want some help to make this work. As afar as I know it is possible to use a high storage drives on this board.

Re: 1TB hard drive fails to work on Gigabyte G41 series board

Can be a cable fault or something. You have to try finding out the same and I am quiet sure that you will get a proper output here. You have to get a different Sata cable. And then connect the drive through that. Once the drive is on it will vibrate a little. You can find that by touching it. And if it is not then it means the drive is not turned on. You have to recheck the power cable. Just replace that with any else once and see. Boot your pc first in bios and see in it. Whether the drive is listed or not. If it is still not coming then you are having a defective hardware.

Hi @Puntai,

As per @miguel Reyes update, I agree with him, It could be some more possible reason for the issue like Hardware faulty, compatibility, SATA cable issue and BIOS settings. To confirm the problem, please follow the following steps.

Option 1:
    Check the power management in Windows or the BIOS menu as well to see what all options are on and which ones are off.

Option 2:
    Try a different MOBO to make sure that the problem is with the HDD and not with the MOBO port.

If it’s still not showing in the bios, then it’s a hardware issue.

Hope it helps.

Try testing the hard drive in some other working pc and then test. I am quiet sure this is some kind of connectivity issue. Any motherboard can support upto 2TB of hard drive. Above that will need a upgraded bios. And here you are only trying to connect a single 1TB hard disk. The best thing you can do is connect the drive on any other working pc and check. I am quiet sure that you will be able to figure out whether the drive is defective or not. If it is defective then you have to replace it. It happens sometime you get a damage product.