Thread: How to charge PlayStation 3 controller in Windows 8.1

How to charge PlayStation 3 controller in Windows 8.1

I am having a PlayStation 3 at my place and I simply charge its controllers by plugging them into the gaming console and get the red light blinking when its charging. I was wondering if this controller can be charged on a Windows 8.1 operating system by using the USB ports on my pc? Is there anyone who has successfully charged the controller on a PC? Is there any kind of driver that I need to download and install on my pc for the PS3 controller to be able to work? Thanks for any information.

Re: How to charge PlayStation 3 controller in Windows 8.1

I do not think that it is a driver problem because charging any kind of device through a USB port is not driver dependent. The computer will charge anything that you connect into a usb port. The computer's usb port supplies +5V and up to 500MA. I have got a MP3 player that I usually plug into my pc's usb port and it charges properly. Have you tried plugging the controller in all of the usb ports that you have and checked if it is working?

Can you tell us whether you are using the original Dualshock 3 controller is the operating system Windows 8.1 able to charge it? On my computer the controller is able to charge just fine without any issues, until I updated to Windows 8.1. All other things are charging perfectly whatever I am plugging into it. I have also installed the software that supports the Dualshock 3 compatibility with Windows but it disconnects it from the Playstation 3.

Just disconnect your PS3 controller and then can you try to open Device Manager and then go to your Human Interface Devices area. After that reconnect the controller and then you will be able to see something like "HID-compliant game controller" and "HID-compliant wireless radio controls" upadted in the same section. Simply right click on the "HID-compliant game controller" and disable it and then disconnect and reconnect the PS3 controller again and it will charge fine.