Thread: Getting low read speed on Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5

Getting low read speed on Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5

I am not getting a proper data read and write speed on a gaming pc. I have - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 motherboard with AMD FX series process. It is a gaming pc and there is a 2TB drive on the same. I am trying to copy games like Far Cry, The Crew, etc. This are big size games that takes long time to copy. I am having a 7200 rpm drive but things are very slow here.

Re: Getting low read speed on Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5

You have to ensure that the cable that you are using is proper or not. You have to check the cables here. Try to get a new one and then test back. The speed can be slow due to various reasons. If there is too much applications running which is causing the drive to slow. You have to turn those things off. And then test. Just to see whether background things are causing issue or not try to check that in safe mode.

Hi Haraksa,

I am glad to help you out. Based on your post, It could be any possible reason for the issue like hardware faulty, compatibility, MOBO connector issue, SATA cable issue and BIOS settings. I’d like to check with you, did you try to data transfer in the same HDD or in different HDD. To confirm the possible reason, please try the following steps.
    Option 1:
    Try to run HD tunes or DLG software utility, to confirm that the HDD is working properly and there is no bad sector.

Option 2:
    Check the power management in Windows or the BIOS menu as well to see what all options are on and which ones are off due to power settings.

Option 3:
    1)Try to connect with different port on same MOBO.
    2)Try to use it with a different SATA cable.
    3)Try a different HDD to make sure that the problem is with the port and not with the original disk.

Hope it helps

If there are bad sectors or if the drive is having heating issue then the speed can cause problem. Aslo the transfer speed depend on the removable media or storage device which you are using to copy files. Like if you are using usb 2.0 storage media then speed will be slow. The same will be higher on usb 3.0. And if you are trying to move from hard drive to hard drive, then both should be of same rpm to get good output.